Favorite Hunting clothing brand advice!!!

Kuiu has really changed their lineup, when it first launched it was great gear, but wasn't so great late season, now it is a different story. They have truly stepped their game up on apparel. It's the fastest drying clothing I have found. I have hunted and lived in first light, Sitka, and Kuiu. All are top notch, but I believe Kuiu has a better system now than the others, and if you want the best bang for your buck Kuiu has it. Comfortable, durable, fast drying, ext. just my opinion.

I have used Kuiu stuff for several years and like it a lot. Their systems are very light weight and set up well for moving up mountains and being active which is how I like to hunt. I do have some gripes though which have started to push me to look at other alternatives. Their "athletic cut" seems to be less forgiving as I get older and fatter (and I am only 31), and I find I really need to size up. This is aggravated by the fact that although they advertise their pants to have stretch, none of them actually do. Its typically minimal two way stretch and never in the waistband which is where I would want it most. Also, due to the lack of stretch and tight fit, any additional pockets other than the main two are not as accessible/useful as they could be. I also find their hoods to be cut for people who have no neck. When I used any of my rain gear or insulators from them and put the hood on, it literally lifts the shoulders of the top off my actual shoulders because the hood is too short. I am only 6' 1" 205lbs, not much of an outlier in height or neck length. This is not a problem I have had with other brands like Kryptek or Beyond Clothing. Ultimately I have started to check out other brands if nothing else than for the sake of variety. I bought some of the new Born Primitive frontier pants and have only started to test them but really like them so far. The rest of their line might be worth checking out as it develops.

Last edited:
Sitka and Canis.

Footwear: depends on temperature, but Salomon Forces. Below freezing, Lowa Ottawa GTX. I've also worn and been happy with Zamberlan. While Salmon are made in SE Asia, I tend to prefer the fit of the other boots as they are made in the EU.

If biting or nuisance bugs are going to be an issue, I send my clothes to Insect Shield for treatment.

Last edited:
Check out ANY brand that uses the Schoeller fabric, it has nanotechnology, the "pores" in the fabric actually open and close like a pinecone depending on temp. I've worn the pants at 103° to minus 3° and the jacket in very cold temps. I tested the pants for wind penetration in my bass boat @ about 55 mph and it's a strange sensation you can feel the pressure of the wind but no pass through yet at 103° they breathed like mesh very cool fabric.

In the cold I just wore a merino wool base and at minus 3° I was comfy on a yote stand for almost an hour. For western hunting I think it's hard to beat, we can be in a valley with very high temps but get up the hill and it could be well below freezing, check that stuff out...

First lite guy here. When I first started out with them their brand wasn't well known and cost was low. Signed on for a pro deal and been using the brand ever since and don't see any need or reason to change. I hunt all year here and their stuff works for me. Wife has some of the clothing now too and she loves it. In the end all the hair brands provide similar level performance clothing, just depends on how it appeals to your eye and pocket book.

First lite guy here. When I first started out with them their brand wasn't well known and cost was low. Signed on for a pro deal and been using the brand ever since and don't see any need or reason to change. I hunt all year here and their stuff works for me. Wife has some of the clothing now too and she loves it. In the end all the hair brands provide similar level performance clothing, just depends on how it appeals to your eye and pocket book.
Yeah buddy, best merino wool I've ever found, the fit is perfect for me and they're made right here at home! My oldest son has tons of their gear it has served him well, he's gonna try and finish the Twelvers this year, that's all he wears!

Another piece of clothing I swear by is the Kryptek Anorak, I believe it's been discontinued but still available even mama has one and loves it. Have you been to the Kryptek super sale downtown? UNBELIEVABLE savings if ya like their gear....

Sitka for me, and most of the guides I have had. The Jetstream jacket is the best of them all. I use that from 0 to 40 with layers underneath from a light merino short sleeve put to a heavy mid layer and a down jacket underneath. I was a huge fan of the Timberline pant but once I started using vented pants, Stone Glacier DeHaviland, I won't use anything else. Got a pair of First Light to try next season. For base layers I also like Smartwool.

"Merino" base layer by anyone is a must! I have Kuiu and Firstlite.
I am shocked by the warmth of the thin Kuiu merino! I use it all the time. If it's really cold I have a medium weight Merino Kiln(?) by Firstlite with the hood I beef up with as a base or over my Kuiu merino.

The key seems to be Merino wool because of its properties to wick moisture and warm even while wet. It doesn't soak odors like synthetic base layers. In other words, Wool won't stink on day 3 of a hunt like polyester!

James

Sitka for me, and most of the guides I have had. The Jetstream jacket is the best of them all. I use that from 0 to 40 with layers underneath from a light merino short sleeve put to a heavy mid layer and a down jacket underneath. I was a huge fan of the Timberline pant but once I started using vented pants, Stone Glacier DeHaviland, I won't use anything else. Got a pair of First Light to try next season. For base layers I also like Smartwool.
The Jetstream jacket is the best jacket I have ever owned.

"Merino" base layer by anyone is a must! I have Kuiu and Firstlite.
I am shocked by the warmth of the thin Kuiu merino! I use it all the time. If it's really cold I have a medium weight Merino Kiln(?) by Firstlite with the hood I beef up with as a base or over my Kuiu merino.

The key seems to be Merino wool because of its properties to wick moisture and warm even while wet. It doesn't soak odors like synthetic base layers. In other words, Wool won't stink on day 3 of a hunt like polyester!

James
^^^ ya gotta get the natural stuff against your skin and then the super scientific synthetics outer layer, best of all worlds and a good quality down for when it really gets cold!

Recent Posts