Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

anything but a 223. hitem w a 223 and theyre gone gone gone o_O
I just shot a 225 lb boar in the neck with a .223 wylde at 110 yds with a 65g Sierra game king. He dropped in his tracks. I've used .308, 6.5 creedmoor, .300 blkout. Haven't lost a pig yet. Definately neck shots with your most accurate weapon is recommended.

My favorite rifle for hogs is an AR 15, the little 5.56 will do the job and the rifle is easy to manage in the bush, quick, and accurate. I also use a Remington side-by-side in .45-70, really liking the second shot but have never actually needed it on a hog.

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.
24" barreled 5.56 with barns factory load 70 g. X bullets. Or 6.5 Grendel with 100 g Barns ttsx bullets.

Not Willi but....
In my 45-70 I used the Speer 400gr JFP bullet. I shot a 300lb+ hog in SC. The bullet expanded to 90cal but remained intact. The wildly expanded bullet was caught in the skin on the off side. Pig didn't fare too well.
I switched over to the Swift 350gr A-Frame bullet to ensure an exit wound should I encounter another really big hog while carrying the 45-70.

I have used a .30-06 rem 700 ADL with 150 grain corelokts. It levels them.

I currently have a .300BO in a Rock River Arms Upper that is a dedicated hog rifle. Havent had the chance to use it yet. I am shooting the 220 grain OTFB for shots out to 100 yards and closer. No can though. Just using it for its mass and hollow point.

Do not use a .223. I used a .223 AR15 one time and it was an awful experience. It took 8 rounds to kill the hog. First round leveled him, but it was still alive when I got close. It kept moving and thrashing so head shots were difficult.

Lol---they keep kicking for a while when you shoot them in the ear or break their neck with a good shot! Had to wait about 5 minutes for the last one I shot with my 22mag to stop kicking but he was dead before he hit the ground!

Not Willi but....
In my 45-70 I used the Speer 400gr JFP bullet. I shot a 300lb+ hog in SC. The bullet expanded to 90cal but remained intact. The wildly expanded bullet was caught in the skin on the off side. Pig didn't fare too well.
I switched over to the Swift 350gr A-Frame bullet to ensure an exit wound should I encounter another really big hog while carrying the 45-70.
have 45-70 hornady 325gr ftx 2gr short of Max trail boss ??

.45 Colt Ruger Black Hawk - 300 gr. semi-wad, gas check [RCBS mold], 22. gr. H110, CCI mag primers - this is one massive punch....with the Ruger .44 mag carbine w/scope for backup. CA coastal canyons are pretty much closer shots, brushy - so the long range rifles are seldom needed.

Hello All,

I've used a 7.62 X 39 AR to walk around with and a .308 precision rifle with 168 Barnes TTSX for setup locations and now I walk with a .308 AR and my Precision setup is a Custom Built .338 WSM with the Barnes 225 TTSX seated way out to a Long Action receiver.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.