Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

I love my remington 7mm rem mag using the combined technology ballistic silver tip 140gr. Drops them every time at any range.
Am going to try out some of the new solids that my friend uses like perigne ( yes I know I spelled it wrong) they are devestating but they definitely cost more.

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.
F8D1962F-3B53-4279-BA82-4E2890CEE93F.jpeg

AR10 6.5 Creedmoor 123gr Nosler Accubond Long Range 2,980 fps and shoot them at long range!

Great thread. I'm going hog hunting in west Texas next month. I've rigged up my wife's old model four 30-06 Remington with an Accuracy Systems fore end to free float the barrel and mounted a 2-7 variable scout scope. Also added a Witt compensator out of deference to my rotator cuff surgery.

Got a batch of various weight Core-lokts to see what it shoots best. I'll let you know.

Great thread. I'm going hog hunting in west Texas next month. I've rigged up my wife's old model four 30-06 Remington with an Accuracy Systems fore end to free float the barrel and mounted a 2-7 variable scout scope. Also added a Witt compensator out of deference to my rotator cuff surgery.

Got a batch of various weight Core-lokts to see what it shoots best. I'll let you know.
What part of west TEXAS?

My first hog hunt in California I used a Browning 270 win BAR and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn or a pig. Sold it, bought a Win. M70 Super Grade 7 REM and reloaded 175 grain Nosler Partition as I recall. I found the 175s to be over kill for our 150 lb. typical pig. I then dropped to 140 Barnes TTSX. Great bullet . Seemed about perfect. Sold that gun for a Sako 270 win spitting 130 TTSX (can only use copper in CA). Awesome gun and combination. Tack driver. Since switching to Barnes, each one just rolled over at the shot. My shot placement was always behind the shoulder. We don't do much mass eradication here. You have to buy tags. I have only shot one at a time. Next hunt I'm going to either bring my 1894 30-30 that I have set up for 100 yards or I'm going to try the Sako at something over 200 yards if I can. Except this one, shot her on the run once to far back then in the head.
Pig.jpg

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.
I shot hundreds of wild pigs in northern Australia, first gun was a 308 Winchester with 150 Factory ammo, many took off on running shots, then I up graded to a 300 winmag with 185 grn factory ammo, this did the trick as not a single animal got away, winmag hits them hard and they are dead as they fall, ethical hunting , Cheers

Robbinson 66

Robbinson R66 with a door gun.

Love my 6.5 Grendel.
20" black hole weaponry barrel
Geiselle two stage.
100-120 grain NBT

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.