Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

Semi Auto if trying to kill more than one. AR10 is one of the best. If trying to just kill one, most anything will work with head shots. I've killed them with a .22MAG. If you are going to shoot them in the body, like with a running shot on the second one, you need a tough bullet. I've seen the gristle plate stop a 130gr power point from a .270.

I have several long range rifles but since I hunt hogs at night, I matched the realistic distance and energy with my Pro Zeus thermal scope. Since the .556 is basically flat from 50 to 250 yds, I use it with 62 grain green tips and head shots. Well placed shots work every time, regardless of hogs size. 4 of 5 in same family will confirm that 2 of them dropped with 1 lined up head shot. I have a .50 Beowulf that I would love to use, but quick followup shots on other hogs yields better results.

Not long range but the majority of the hogs I killed is with my sks 7.62 x 39 123 grain fmj
Longest shot 75 yards. Most of my shots were 20 yards. Typically shoot them low just behind the elbow. They never got far.
If you can get the ear shot they will drop in their tracks.

Mini 14 with Barnes loaded up to
5.56 specs. Put it in the ear.
IMG_20180327_171931685.jpg

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.
We don't have hogs in South Dakota yet *knock on wood* but if we did I would be using my AR-10 in 308 with a 178gr ELD-X

I'm using my 300BLK SBR. 9" barrel with a can. 110gr Barnes TAC-TX has been very effective for me. Hunting at night with thermal. Shots are usually 50 yards or less. Head shots and shoulder have all resulted in clean, recovered kills. Not exactly a long-range setup, but for hogs, it has been great for me.

I have a similar set up. Have you tried shooting suppressed sub sonic? wondering how they respond when their buddies start going down.

300 RUM, bolt action. 165 grain Ballistic tip. But this has always a spot and stalk hunt and usually looking for a large boar.

I have guided many hog hunts and like any hunt bullet placement is key. But I have had to go in after a crippled hog due to poor bullet choice also. Use a good expanding hunting bullet rather than a long Range only type. Most importantly, have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.