Favorite elk rifle

RevJim

I hunted in East, Tx "rain forest" all my young life before moving to Utah. I used alot of WD-40 and 3 in 1 oil and elbow grease to keep my Mod 94 Classic Carbine ( it had beautiful wood too!) rust free and any shotgun/.22 we had the same. I didn't start messing with bolt rifles until I got out of the Army, '73, and I used car wax to seal the bedding, and a coat outside on the wood. It was later in the early 90s, out here in Utah, that I first used stainless/synthetic rifles and I liked them, but always had wood stocked rifles too. I soon just started having all my rifles pillar bedded, free floated and sealed (if wood) Outers TriLube keeps the metal rust free, and now I (on the wood) I use Howard's Feed N Wax on out side. the bedding is sealed with a varathane type sealer.
I have owned wood stocked rifles that I just couldn't use on nasty days, even after that, ha. This Kimber 84L is going hunting, rain/snow, but I will take "Gun Slicker" with me when I do, a light rain or snow, thats nothing, its the week long storms that can mess you up...in my mind anyhow. I once had a favorite rifle all weatherized, via Moly Baked On Coating on the metal, a $700 Brown Precision High Country stock, scope covers, natch. The next 15 yrs, it "never" rained or snowed on me when I took it hunting! Go figure. ha

sp6x6

338 NMLast ten,340 before let rr rip.Had a 5x6 below barrel area,let it grow up.Hard pack out that canyon.
16D2B22F-2A00-40A7-ADC7-70E86D539226.jpeg

Last edited:

MallardAddict

Have this Robert Gradous built 28 Nosler on the way so it will likely get the call this year.
Pierce TI with TI recoil lug and 20 moa rail, 28” Kreiger #5.5, carbon fiber fill McMillan lazzeroni pattern stock, trigger tech. Weighs 8lbs 2 oz naked
42EDC635-88BE-444A-BF6E-312FADAA6BFC.jpeg

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce