Favorite elk rifle

I hunted in East, Tx "rain forest" all my young life before moving to Utah. I used alot of WD-40 and 3 in 1 oil and elbow grease to keep my Mod 94 Classic Carbine ( it had beautiful wood too!) rust free and any shotgun/.22 we had the same. I didn't start messing with bolt rifles until I got out of the Army, '73, and I used car wax to seal the bedding, and a coat outside on the wood. It was later in the early 90s, out here in Utah, that I first used stainless/synthetic rifles and I liked them, but always had wood stocked rifles too. I soon just started having all my rifles pillar bedded, free floated and sealed (if wood) Outers TriLube keeps the metal rust free, and now I (on the wood) I use Howard's Feed N Wax on out side. the bedding is sealed with a varathane type sealer.
I have owned wood stocked rifles that I just couldn't use on nasty days, even after that, ha. This Kimber 84L is going hunting, rain/snow, but I will take "Gun Slicker" with me when I do, a light rain or snow, thats nothing, its the week long storms that can mess you up...in my mind anyhow. I once had a favorite rifle all weatherized, via Moly Baked On Coating on the metal, a $700 Brown Precision High Country stock, scope covers, natch. The next 15 yrs, it "never" rained or snowed on me when I took it hunting! Go figure. ha

338 NMLast ten,340 before let rr rip.Had a 5x6 below barrel area,let it grow up.Hard pack out that canyon.
16D2B22F-2A00-40A7-ADC7-70E86D539226.jpeg

Last edited:
Well...I couldn't leave "well enough alone". I sold the 300WM Mesa to buy a pristine Kimber 84L Classic ( really nice wood) in .270 (24"bbl) and a couple weeks later, sold the 6.5 Creedmoor I had to buy a Bergara B14 Hunter in 300WM. I just like those 300 Mags! ha I have no problem using a .270, but I like having a heavy hitter too. Just a quirk of mine...:)
How do you like the B14? Bought the HMR-PRO in 300 WM. Really like it!

Hello sir! I love the B14! When I first got it, I cleaned it to bare metal, then coated the bore with EezOx. I cleaned only with EezOx after each shot for five break in loads Then shot five and cleaned. Thats my break in. I worked with R23 and Barnes 175 LRX. Settled on 73 gr for now. Didn't clock it yet, but it was one ragged hole! I had the rifle skimmed bedded and a Trigger Tech Special put in, set on 2#. I had my old Burris Timberline 4.5x14 AO on it, and it dialed right in. Its one fine rifle! :)

Mine is the plain ol B14 Hunter, ha. I am not a LRH by any stretch, never killed any Game past 375-380. I am OCD spooked about the "unseen wind" way out there, ha. But I do love to "finesse" a shot surgically through a hole in the brush, or timber. In a way, it is still a type of sniping, which I love...:)

Mine won't be a surprise to laker. .300 RUM. Remington BDL Stainless synthetic. Sits in a different stock now, massaged trigger. I bought this rifle in 2000. It has killed an elk every year since then. Before that, Remington 721 in .30-06. I still shoot both of them. 406muley

Finally chronoed my 300 WSM/168 TTSX and the 300WM/175 LRX loads. 3167fps/168 TTSX and 3081/175 LRX. I'm jazzed! They repeated their accuracy too, which is even better! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.