favorite deer caliber

I think I've got about a 3 way tie for putting down deer. 6MM,280,260. But have quite a bunch with the .308 also. Honorable mention,7-08,243,45-70,44 Mag,41 Mag. But in all honesty I've shot more with bow than firearm . Also have to mention muzzle loader.

Oh this is a risky one . In all reality I've killed more whitetail deer with a 22 mag than most people will kill in their lifetime. That's the honest to gods truth . Now as for killing deer while rifle hunting I'd say I've killed more with my 270 wsm than any other center fire.
But my new favorite has become the 7mm08 pushing the 120 gr nosler ballistic tip . It kills like lightning

I've killed more deer with a 270 win. than with all other calibers combined. Ist with a model 6 Remington pump and then with a M70 Sporter with 24" barrel And a Ruger 270 M77. It is hands down the favorites
in my area with the 30-06 being the next most popular in line. You'll see a few 243s and 7mm REM mags scattered about as well but I never cared for the 243. I had a few friends (3 brothers actually) and a few more acquaintances that shot 243 and it was always a toss up on whether or not we would find what they shot or not. One year they all got 270s for Christmas and the after shot drama ceased. Bullets are better today thank goodness but it was never a caliber I could warm up to.
Since I have started building by own these days in both AR and bolt action I'll use 308, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.5-06. I probably kill more than anything else with the Grendel these days as I don't hunt that much in the traditional sense.
I built the 6.5-06 to give me something to shoot and hunt long range that didn't have a ton of recoil . It has not disappointed.
But I will also say that with the coming of longer, high BC bullets in .277. The thought of building a 270 or 270 AI have certainly run through my mind.

Last edited:
Have two good hunting buddies that are phenomenal deer hunters but, not gun guys. they each own only one rifle! buddy #1 has ruger m-77 tang safety in .270 has had the rifle for over 40 years. He uses only 130gn Speer BTSP and has shot over 100 deer with it. Refuses to try anything else (can't blame him). Buddy #2 has a browning a bolt 7-08 and uses whatever I load him. He seems to favor 139 hornady spitzer SP. (he wouldn't have a clue nor would he care what I loaded him) and has over 50 deer with that rifle. Neither guy has ever complained about bullet performance or missing a deer…. LOL! Wish I could be more like them!

My favorite is my 6.5x55 Ruger No. 1 with a 28in light palma barrel shooting 143gr eldx at 2950. Has ec tuner brake. My quigley down under!

I've shot the most out my 1972 Remington 700 BDL in .270 that my grandfather bought new and gave to me as a grad gift years ago. Still shoots half moa at 200yds (140gr hornady sst's) on the original barrel. When I do my part. Something about those old factory barrels!

Newest one not yet broke in by me is a Remington 700 in .308 In a krg bravo chassis with 26in barrel and ec tuner brake. Not hand loaded yet.

257 Roberts in a 1954 FN Mauser that my dad picked up when he was stationed in Bad Tolz with the 10th SFG. Shoots the 80grn Barnes TTSX very well. I started ground hog hunting with it when I was 12yo.