favorite deer caliber

270 Win in a Light Rifle for 90 percent of my Whitetail Deer hunting with a 130 Grn Ballistic tip at 3000 fps. 270 Weatherby Mag if the range is expected to be beyond 300 yards. 130 Grn. ballistic tip at 3300 or a 150 Grn ABLR at 3000 fps. 30 -06 short, barreled Rifle, 165 Grn SST at 2600 fps , if my blind is either in , or along ,a woods line. Very simple and old school!!!

I would have to say my favorite is my 7 LRM. Its just one of those rifles I hate to leave home without it.The gun goes bang and the animals drop. It has taken every animal I have pulled the trigger on over the last ten or so years. Its just my old trusty! From 50 to 850 it has never let me down. I shoot the 180 Berger Hybrids in it right at 3000 FPS.

I've got two long time favorites. For deer & antelope my XP100 in 7BR has killed truckloads with 120 ballistic tips.
For Elk my Shilen DGA 300 Win Mag is the ticket. My dad had it built for me as a gift for my college graduation in '81. The DGA is known as "The Meat Hook" loaded with 200 gr Partitions

Last edited:
In my younger years it was .270Win with factory 130 Corelokts. Passed that to my son and now that I hand load: short-barrel 7-08 model 7 for box stands, 6.5 PRC for bean fields or antelope and 28 Nos for elk.

6.5 X 55 Swiss in a Tweed rifle. Turkish 98 small ring Mauser action with Swiss surplus 6.5 X 55 barrel cut & crowned to 24 inches. 270 Win. in a German 98 Mauser action, Lothar Walter barrel. Both have Leopold glass, Tilney triggers, actions bedded, barrel floated. Lothar Walther did guarantee 1/2 inch at 100. They come lapped & long chambered.

6mm has been my favorite caliber for deer hunting over the years. 6mm Remington w 100 grain spire points.

More recently a CZ527 bolt action, 6mm ARC has been my go to deer rifle for the last 3 years.

You might guess what my favorite is. Got my first one in 1966. A custom FN Mauser with a Douglas Premium barrel and a Canjar set trigger. Redfield 4-12 scope. Have went thru 2 more since then. My favorite one now is a Remington SS Mountain rifle with a laminated stock. Used Sierra 100 gr BT's for years, but lately have been using Barnes 100 gr tipped.

What caliber have you killed the most deer with and which caliber is your favorite. Mine is 308. Killed more deer with it than probably all the other combined. But it helps my gun for it is perfect for it Short, light, easy to walk in the woods with, easy to carry, and great treestand gun.
I've always used a .308. Started with a Winchester 88 at 13 and now a Sako lr61 @ 62.

I've taken deer with numerous calibers over the years. As a kid hunting in PA I started out with a 6mm Remington. The last three mule deer taken by myself and now my son in New Mexico have been with a 300 win mag and they dropped at ranges from 400-565 yds. Using old school Hornady 165 BTSP's pushing around 2900 fps.
Taking my son out in PA we've had great results using a 6.5 Creedmoor. Takes them out quick.
The 300 win mag and 6.5 Creedmoor are primarily what I load for and what we use hunting and on the range. They are two of my favorites.