Favorite Action w 3 position safety

You can put a 3 position safety on any of the Remington clones (Defiance, Borden etc) if you have a good smith.

I didn't know savages had 3 position safetys It has been a while since I shot one though.

I have heard mixed reviews on montana actions I like the theory though.

What is the best way to convert a remington 700 or clone to a 3 position. I have seen the shroud replacements and don't really like them but I saw this on brownells and I am thinking about trying it.

REMINGTON 600/700 3-FUNCTION SAFETY | Brownells

Thanks for the replies

I have a Gentry on a Remington 600, someone else's on a Mauser that I can't remember the name of right now. Basically a Model 70 look alike.

I't not a drop in type thing, it takes a little work to get it right, but worth it to me.

One of the neatest actions on a factory rifle is the Kimber 84-8400 model. Mauser Pre-1964 Winchester style extractor, Sako style adjustable firing pen. And a Model 70 type 3 position Safety. With the bolt closed in the action, Put the safety on center position remove bolt from action, With its indent and ball position lock, Just over ride the poppet ball and the firing pen screws out, Clean, lubricate, put back together. Great for bad weather hunting, The Mauser extractor may not give the accuracy wanted for long range shooting.

I know I am the only guy on the planet who thinks a 3 position safety is a necessity. I just hate when my bolt comes open when I am hunting and I like to be able to unload with the safety on. Sako or simliar style that locks the action but allows unloading on safety count.

Both of the shelf and for custom builds.

Most of my rifles are M70 Winchesters with the three position safety. That being said, I wish they were two position instead of three. I've had instances when I was about to shoot at game and inadvertently just pushed the safety to the middle detent instead of fully forward like I intended, a simple two position safety which is either on safe or fire is preferable in my opinion. Locking the bolt is a must for me, but the middle position that allows the rifle to be unloaded with the safety on can be done away with, it's unnecessary. I can keep my finger off of the trigger and the rifle pointed in a safe direction during the five seconds it takes me to remove a round from the chamber. There are two position aftermarket safeties for the M70 and Mausers that lock the bolt when engaged, and Remington M700's were that way for a long time before the lawyers got their panties in a wad.

I currently have a rem 700 30-06 I haven't hunted with it but would like to this fall. Is it possible to modify the safety so it locks the bolt?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.