Favorite Field Shooting Rest/Position

Mr.Moa

My shot opportunities in the field are almost always within 300 yards but have had them out to about 900 yards so i tend to throw my rifle across the closest horizontal object and let the lead fly with good results. But eventually Im going to have to take a shot over 300 yards and would like to know how yall would approach it. The steadiest way ive thought of is a prone shooting size bipod and a light small rear sand bag. How do yall like to set up for long range shots?

prone is going to be your best set up but sometimes you don't have that option due to terrain,veggitation ect.the lower you can get to the ground the better but prone isn't always practicle.try to practice shooting from different positionsand get as comfortable as you can because you want to try to eliminate shooting from a position you not familier with.shawn carlockwrote a good article on here explaining different feild positionsgun)

10 Ways To Stronger Rifle Field Shooting Positions

+1 for what he said.

Personal preference is in play here. You have to pratice and find out what works for you. Me, if I can do it prone, w/ bipod and bag, GREAT. If not sitting with back rest is good for me, and if I must get up high, standing supported is ok. I've practiced that last one alot to get it right. Now if I can get a fence post to put a pack on, critters beware.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.