Fall elk hunt with my 270

Highvoltage

Set on using the old 270 this fall with a Barnes 129 lrx or 130 ttsx. Does anyone have any suggestions with these 2 projectiles with either reloder 16 or 26. Any and all experiences are welcomed. Please no " I'd never shoot an elk with a 270" comments. Thanks guys.
Btw shots on this property have traditionally ran in the 300-600 yd range.

Couldn't get the LRX to shoot in my 270 but but dropped a cow at 230 yards through both shoulders with my 270 win using 130 grain trophy bonded tips, worked great and she dropped on the spot. The 270 gets a lot of use around here in Montana.

We've killed two nice 6 points and various deer with a 270 and 129 LRXs. We've had phenomenal performance from the Barnes. Also killed a few nice bulls and deer with 6.5 127LRX, 120 TTSX 7mm, 145 LRX 7mm etc.

We are pushing the 129s 3200fps In the 270 with Hodgen HSP into about 1/2 moa. No problem hitting 3300 fps with the HSP. Just couldn't get the accuracy with any of the temp stable powders we tried And 3150 fps was about tops without running them too hard.

Wow that's good speed, I've killed a few elk with the 150 ttsx out of my 300 Winchester. I'm not a huge recoil person so if I can run considerably less powder and work a consistent load up, I think these bullets will be great in that 3050-3150 range. Flat flat and penetrate well. I'll have to look into that powder.

macfive- if you would not mind, would you PM me your load recipe with that HSP ( Superformance?) and that 129LRX load? Thanks Pard. For some reason, I always thought Superformance was OK in cold but kind of wonky at higher temps, is that your experience?

I don't know your barrel length. I have a custom 26 inch 270 win. I don't think that lighter than 150 and shorter barrels can take advantage of R-25 or R-26. I always used higher BC bullets and the TSX BT 140 is real elk and deer medicine Case volume makes a difference. winchester hold the most powder and Remington peters probably the least.

Superformance at 58 grains exceed 3100 fps out of win cases LR primer. The lawyer friendly loads listed in the barnes books are slightly less powder, but i found this to work even on hot 80+ days. I actually tested to 3200 fps

IMR7828sc was good round right at 60 gr, also exceeding 3100 fps I chronoed up through 61.6 at just over 3200

I've never recovered one of these bullets from a classic broad side shot. They were always pass through with very large exits. On one particular elk hunt in Oregon. We recover a 175 gr &mm rem mag nos partition two days before my elk and it was maybe 100 yards away same shot as mine at 240 and I had a pass through DRT so was his.

Set on using the old 270 this fall with a Barnes 129 lrx or 130 ttsx. Does anyone have any suggestions with these 2 projectiles with either reloder 16 or 26. Any and all experiences are welcomed. Please no " I'd never shoot an elk with a 270" comments. Thanks guys.
Btw shots on this property have traditionally ran in the 300-600 yd range.

I've been impressed with the performance of the LRX. The TTSX not so much. I've had to do a lot of tracking for clients and neighbors shooting the TTSX even on deer.

My only personal experience with the TTSX is shooting the .223 factor ammo loaded with it at a few dozen hogs. As long as I was making head/neck shots they performed well.

Between the two I'd go with the LRX.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.