Observations from my elk hunt...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by crazyhorse, Nov 1, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Antonio m

Antonio m Well-Known Member

Good results, analytical description of your hunt, good information, good post.
    Most guides have little interest in the shooting sports, it sounds like you knew how to address his limitations on this respectfully.
    I am surprised just how the bullet performed, in our country, the west slope of the Canadian Rockies the country is steep and timbered, lots of avalanche chutes.
    I like a blood trail( depending on the chambering) but I would likely not use a bullet that would get through the shoulder and ( hopefully)exit.
    I have seen them well hit and die in the dirtiest tangles, also In hunting camp seldom would you see two guides agree on this or much else.
    I am speaking from experience, some of the laziest people I have every worked around were hunting guides and alternatively some of the most motivated.
    Any mature bull is a good bull. Cheers.

Flatbow and Lynn Coleman like this.
  2. JustMe2

JustMe2 Well-Known Member

Nicely written story and nice bull. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventure.

3. ccmain

ccmain Member

Congrats nice elk

4. gmessina

gmessina Member

Awesome!! Congratulations

5. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

Great story and nice looking bull. Congrats!

6. Terry1973

Terry1973 New Member

Nice write up..Congratulations on a nice bull.

7. vancewalker007

vancewalker007 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're looking for exits on Elk you're better off with a copper bullet, partition type like a Swift A-Frame, or a heavy bonded bullet like a Scirocco.

Note, I shot a full grown cow elk with a 180gr Nosler Accubond from a 300 WSM making right at 3100fps at the muzzle with no exit at about 390 yards. The elk died but bullet just disappeared. So even bonded bullets can get lost in an elk.

claybreaker likes this.
  8. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Nice bull sounds like a great hunt. I’ve used the 212 on moose and elk and it’s punched through heavy shoulder blades no problem

mpayne likes this.
  9. rgvt4

rgvt4 Well-Known Member

GREAT BULL

10. HangNail

HangNail Member

Awesome and congratulations. Beautiful story and a fabulous Elk