My first elk hunt

happyfast79, Unless I'm misinterpreting you.....the ELDX (especially in smaller calibers) may not be the best bullet choice for anyone "not" disciplined enough to wait for the perfect, behind the shoulder shot!

Also, while the effect from a bonded or mono bullet may not be immediately observed.... a much higher likelihood of a kill can be had without "perfect" bullet placement! To summarize......insurance! memtb
Exactly

Also I won't hunt with a muzzle brake or with people who use them as I value my hearing to much.

If you hunt or shoot without hearing protection, you are deceiving yourself. All guns are loud! Concerned hunters use electronic hearing protection; which by the way enhances surrounding sounds and turns off at loud noises.

That's not deceiving my self.. there is loud then there's a buddy setting off a bomb next to you when your looking at Bambi

Attachments

• 2417706C-B711-4AA8-B86D-BAABDDB20B67.png
    2417706C-B711-4AA8-B86D-BAABDDB20B67.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 63
Anything over 140 dB is damaging to your hearing.

According to the 'net 15 dB is the equivalent of a pindrop... the concussion is definitely more, which might be perceive as "louder".

A little communication with your buddy about when he's going to shoot goes a long way..

"Hey, I'm going to shoot, 3, 2, 1, " Plug the ears.

That's not deceiving my self.. there is loud then there's a buddy setting off a bomb next to you when your looking at Bambi

This thread is funny if you only read the first post and the last page. But I digress.
Yep, the nature of the beast. ;)

Some more cud to chew on here:

Yep, the nature of the beast. ;)

Some more cud to chew on here:
I am waiting for the old 270 vs 3006 thread. Bet those rabbit trail for ever!

Agreed. I was thinking the same. WTH? First time elk hunter and recommending neck shots at all seems crazy to me. They have a huge neck and a lot of open air/flesh space a bullet can pass through and hit nothing at all vital. A good buddy (who is not an experienced hunter and I had told for yrs to Never take a neck shot on elk, shot one at 100 yds w/300wby with 180 TSXs We found one little drop of blood, brought a friend's dog out the next am and he only found one more little drop of blood. Even whitetails have open areas in the neck and the body a bullet can pass thru and hit much of nothing. We all need to remember, Not everyone on here is an experienced hunter or shooter.
The man said his set up was very accurate out to 500 yards. I don't know him from Adam, but I'm not going to knock his shooting abilities. You said you have shot elk at 100 yards /w a 300 WBY and a 180 grain bullet and you found no blood. That's very odd to me. I can not tell you how many deer my friends and I have shot with 22-250 and 220 swift's with only 50 - 60 grain bullets. We always shoot them in the neck because they just fold up like a pretzel. The amount of kinetic energy from these 2 small calibers breaks the neck instantly. My little 260 w/ 140 grain Berger break necks all day on elk. I find it hard to believe that a 300 WBY can not.

Agreed. I was thinking the same. WTH? First time elk hunter and recommending neck shots at all seems crazy to me. They have a huge neck and a lot of open air/flesh space a bullet can pass through and hit nothing at all vital. A good buddy (who is not an experienced hunter and I had told for yrs to Never take a neck shot on elk, shot one at 100 yds w/300wby with 180 TSXs We found one little drop of blood, brought a friend's dog out the next am and he only found one more little drop of blood. Even whitetails have open areas in the neck and the body a bullet can pass thru and hit much of nothing. We all need to remember, Not everyone on here is an experienced hunter or shooter.
I'm trying to find where I said a neck shot at 500-700 yards on elk but I'm unsuccessful. I don't shoot neck shots past 300 yards.

The man said his set up was very accurate out to 500 yards. I don't know him from Adam, but I'm not going to knock his shooting abilities. You said you have shot elk at 100 yards /w a 300 WBY and a 180 grain bullet and you found no blood. That's very odd to me. I can not tell you how many deer my friends and I have shot with 22-250 and 220 swift's with only 50 - 60 grain bullets. We always shoot them in the neck because they just fold up like a pretzel. The amount of kinetic energy from these 2 small calibers breaks the neck instantly. My little 260 w/ 140 grain Berger break necks all day on elk. I find it hard to believe that a 300 WBY can not.
I'm not going to argue with your experience, but I have seen neck shots go wrong. I have also seen gut shot elk, and seen lost animals with what should have been heart/lung shots too. I shot a calf elk once that had an arrow sticking out of it's spine. How it could still be moving at all was a mystery. It was last in line of the elk herd and in obvious pain. All I can say is to take the best shot you have, and if it's at all "iffy" don't shoot at all.
I'm not a fan of neck shots, but I have taken them without problems also.

Ok I found it. It was a gentleman that goes by ( 7070y shot.) He recommends neck shots out to 500-700 yards. Not I. I limit my neck shots to 300 yards. That being said I'm not going to ridicule anyone's shooting or hunting abilities on this site. I have never met them. I don't mind sharing my knowledge and my abilities along with my misfortunes so that other hunters/shooters may benefit from it. If I think I can help someone become a better hunter/shooter/person I'll do all that I can to assist. I've made my fair share of mistakes and misfortunes and I will gladly share them to protect others so that they may not experience them. I think everyone deserves a great hunting/shooting experience. If they are on this site then they enjoy one or the other, maybe both.