Factory Rifle

I have 2-2.5k budget for a new rifle. I'll choose a mild caliber (7mm-08, 6.5 PRC, 280 AI, 270 wsm etc). I plan to use the rifle as both a primary and backup for anything up to and including elk size. I'm out of the loop these days (spent the last 10 years black powder) and I'm looking for recommendations on quality rifle manufacturers.
Look at Alamo Precision Rifles. These guys are great and build a top quality affordable rifle.

I have a NIB Remington CDL 7MM mag, stainless fluted, 26" barrel. with Leupold VX3i, 3.5-10x50 scope, Leupold mounts with reverse front, dual dovetail rings, Leupold aluminum lens caps, satin finish factory stock, NEW thumb hole stock, real tree synthetic stock, claw sling, timney trigger, never fired, will sell all for $1700

Attachments

• 7mm 007.jpg
    7mm 007.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 7mm 012.jpg
    7mm 012.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 7mm 024.jpg
    7mm 024.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 7mm 023.jpg
    7mm 023.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 7mm 035.jpg
    7mm 035.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC02271_zpsvgty7vte.JPG
    DSC02271_zpsvgty7vte.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC02281_zpshtzv8ubu.JPG
    DSC02281_zpshtzv8ubu.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 73
I have to agree with others. After I messed with Tikka's, I had SERIOUS buyers remorse on the semi custom and higher end stuff. If you want gingerbread, it can be had and there's nothing wrong with it.

But, if you just want a rifle that will function right out of the box, take a look at a Tikka. 7-08 or 270 WSM would handle your needs and run you $750 for the rifle. They do not optimize their twist for heavies, but 9.5 in a 7mm should get you to about 160 class VLD. 1:10 in .270 is standard, no not much to say.

Swap out trigger spring and you're all set unless you just want a fancier stock.

Add in SportsMach rings and scope of choice and you're set.

I've been using Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 and 308 the last few years and love them. They're very handy and accurate little rifles.

Personally, I would have a semi-custom built. You can put together one for less than $2500 using quality parts and a quality smith. Remington action $350, match grade stainless barrel $350, Grayboe/HS/B&C stock $300, bottom metal $150, TriggerTech or Timney $150, Hawkins brake $50, labor for barrel install and fitting the muzzle brake $300-400, labor for fitting the stock and bedding $300-$400. Grand total $2150 at the max and that will be a serious shooter too.
I to like the Semi-Custom build, just finished a 6.5 X 55 hunting rifle and with only 30 rounds through the barrel it is looking great. 2650 fps, 140 grain Begers, .41 MOA

Personally, I would have a semi-custom built. You can put together one for less than $2500 using quality parts and a quality smith. Remington action $350, match grade stainless barrel $350, Grayboe/HS/B&C stock $300, bottom metal $150, TriggerTech or Timney $150, Hawkins brake $50, labor for barrel install and fitting the muzzle brake $300-400, labor for fitting the stock and bedding $300-$400. Grand total $2150 at the max and that will be a serious shooter too.
Remington actions will require 500+ $ spent to get it completely trued, sako extractor, fluted, side bolt release, plus the price the action. Get a custom like a bighorn origin, gunwerks grb, or kelbly atlas all under a grand. The rest the price list is somewhat inline, but the cheapest finish work I've found, which includes fit, chamber, thread, cerakote, glass bed is around a grand. Don't cheat yourself and use a factory rem 700 and build on it. For the money, a seekins havak is a hell of a rifle, carbon stock, rock creek barrel timney trigger, the action is def better than a rem. With a 25% discount code(not hard to buy) they can be had for 1400$ I purchased a 6.5 prc for my father last year, it's very accurate factory and hand loads. Will be buying a 7 mag for my nephew this year.

I am a huge fan of the Weatherby Mark V. They have a good selection of standard calibers as well as the Weatherby calibers. I have owned more than 30 recent production Mark 5s and the Ultra Lightweight, Accumark, New Weathermark and LT, and variants like Outfitter and Terramark have all been VERY accurate. They are Standard twist barrels so you may be limited on bullet length in the 7mms and 6mms, but they are fantastic rifles from what I've seen.

Remington actions will require 500+ $ spent to get it completely trued, sako extractor, fluted, side bolt release, plus the price the action. Get a custom like a bighorn origin, gunwerks grb, or kelbly atlas all under a grand. The rest the price list is somewhat inline, but the cheapest finish work I've found, which includes fit, chamber, thread, cerakote, glass bed is around a grand. Don't cheat yourself and use a factory rem 700 and build on it. For the money, a seekins havak is a hell of a rifle, carbon stock, rock creek barrel timney trigger, the action is def better than a rem. With a 25% discount code(not hard to buy) they can be had for 1400$ I purchased a 6.5 prc for my father last year, it's very accurate factory and hand loads. Will be buying a 7 mag for my nephew this year.
New manufactured Remingtons have custom action tolerances or better than some custom actions. As I mentioned above. A Sako extractor and side bolt release are not needed, neither is fluting. I've never seen either parts fail on a factory Remington. If you have an unlimited budget, then buy a custom. If you only want to invest a few hundred in an action then buy a Remington. The Seekins Havak looks like a good rifle. I personally would rather have a semi custom or full custom done by a reputable smith. To each their own.

Where do 25% discount codes come from?

Mike

Use the advise here,and check the classifeds on this site.Lots of dream guns for guys with low round count. One thing interesting in classifieds,guys buy there old rifle make too,heh;)

New manufactured Remingtons have custom action tolerances or better than some custom actions. As I mentioned above. A Sako extractor and side bolt release are not needed, neither is fluting. I've never seen either parts fail on a factory Remington. If you have an unlimited budget, then buy a custom. If you only want to invest a few hundred in an action then buy a Remington. The Seekins Havak looks like a good rifle. I personally would rather have a semi custom or full custom done by a reputable smith. To each their own.
Hmmmm I in no way feel a rem 700 have as good or better than custom action. I think they're turds, and with vigilant polishing, are mediocre at best. For gosh sake to get proper extraction/ignition timing you have to braze on a new bolt handle. Cock on close is f'n horrible, heavy bolt lift to open action, usually the tennon threads aren't true, one lug is usually not making full contact with its abutment, or any in some situations. I have several guys I know, who are pretty well known gunsmiths, they work on Remingtons, they're not tightly toleranced at all. One mass produced rifle that is? A Tikka. You can buy shouldered prefits for a factory Tikka. I can take the bolt out of one rifle, and use it it another and the shoulder length changes by 1 thou on brass. Do that with a Remington! You probably won't even be able to get the bolt closed.

Hmmmm I in no way feel a rem 700 have as good or better than custom action. I think they're turds, and with vigilant polishing, are mediocre at best. For gosh sake to get proper extraction/ignition timing you have to braze on a new bolt handle. Cock on close is f'n horrible, heavy bolt lift to open action, usually the tennon threads aren't true, one lug is usually not making full contact with its abutment, or any in some situations. I have several guys I know, who are pretty well known gunsmiths, they work on Remingtons, they're not tightly toleranced at all. One mass produced rifle that is? A Tikka. You can buy shouldered prefits for a factory Tikka. I can take the bolt out of one rifle, and use it it another and the shoulder length changes by 1 thou on brass. Do that with a Remington! You probably won't even be able to get the bolt closed.
Old Remingtons had bad tolerances and needed lots of work. New ones are much better. Some still have issues with extraction and timing, but so do some custom actions. A lot of custom actions aren't "true". The aftermarket is huge on them as well. I've never had a problem rebarreling a 700 and getting it to shoot under 1/2 MOA. I also don't have more than $1500 invested in them. Yes, custom actions are smoother and look nice. But I don't think you have to have one

I have to agree with others. After I messed with Tikka's, I had SERIOUS buyers remorse on the semi custom and higher end stuff. If you want gingerbread, it can be had and there's nothing wrong with it.

But, if you just want a rifle that will function right out of the box, take a look at a Tikka. 7-08 or 270 WSM would handle your needs and run you $750 for the rifle. They do not optimize their twist for heavies, but 9.5 in a 7mm should get you to about 160 class VLD. 1:10 in .270 is standard, no not much to say.

Swap out trigger spring and you're all set unless you just want a fancier stock.

Add in SportsMach rings and scope of choice and you're set.

i agree on tikkas, love them. Over half the guns I have had alamo precision build me have been on a tikka action

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.