Factory rifle

SamuelBerryhill308

I'm in search of a 280ai rifle but not sure what make to go with and I've tried looking for them on line and cant find many options.so what factory made rifles in 280ai are available and who makes a good one?

Most of the premium manufacturers offer one. On the cheaper end of the scale, a Kimber Hunter is pretty easy to source and easy on the wallet. Most factory options I looked at were in the $1500~$2000 range.

At some point, buying a 280 and having a gunsmith true the action and "AI" it becomes viable too.

Savage makes a few guns in the 280AI cartridge with 22 and 26" bbl's. There is the........
110 Ultralite Carbon Proof
110 High Country
110 Hunter
110 Storm
110 Long Range Hunter
110 Engage hunter
Axis Overwatch
Axis II
Axis II Stainless Steel
I dont have alot of experience with savage except a older model axis that I sold that was junk and I have a model 11 police that I really like.out of the newer models which ones are any good?

I'm in search of a 280ai rifle but not sure what make to go with and I've tried looking for them on line and cant find many options.so what factory made rifles in 280ai are available and who makes a good one?
Savage with the proof barrel is probably the best deal going. Beyond that, maybe a Christensen. People say they are hit & miss but the proof barrels have an excellent reputation. Option #2 go to every gun shop you can think of, find a beat up Remington 700 in 30-06 or 270. Don't give any more than $250 for it out the door. Figure out what barrel contour you want. Get online & find a bartlein, Krieger, proof or benchmark, etc... blank in the length, twist & contour that you want that's in stock. Go to Long rifles Inc( there plenty other good gunsmiths but LRI is quick & easy). Look at LRI's reamer list and see what free bore options are available for the bullet you want to shoot. Figure out if your loaded round with the bullet you want to run while touching the lands according to how much freebore you want will fit in the Remington's 3.7" long mag box. It more than likely will. If you are going with factory ammo it will definitely fit in the mag box, but another free bore length may be more optimal for factory ammo if that's all you ever want to run. Call Chad at LRI. He will more than likely know how much free bore you need for factory loaded ammo that you want to shoot if you find out that ammo's over all length. Send blank & action to LRI & have them thread & chamber. If you have more money you want to throw into it have a m16 extractor put in. If you really want to spend even more, have them blue print & true. Buy an h&s or McMillan stock. Buy a timney or trigger tech. Learn how to glass bed it if you would like to. Put it all together yourself. Now you will have less than $1500 or less than $1200 invested depending on what all options you choose. And feel good about what you've learned.
Option#3 buy a Savage long action rifle for dirt cheap, order a prefit criterion, proof research all steel or carbon wrapped. Buy go & no go guages. Get an action wrench kit. Do some research online about swapping barrels on a Savage. Swap barrel.
Option#4 Buy a custom already built for $3000-$6000. Or send a gunsmith a deposit to build you one and wait 6 months- 2years.

My first rifle I put together was with a Savage prefit.I had less than $600 in it. It shoots great. Even if it might have happened not to shoot great, I learned from it.

I dont have alot of experience with savage except a older model axis that I sold that was junk and I have a model 11 police that I really like.out of the newer models which ones are any good?
The 110 ultra light with the proof barrel is a very nice rifle. Didn't care for the stock but they shoot well. The first load I tried in a friends 280 ai 110 UL shot 160 Sierra tipped match king in the .6-.75" range at 100.

Not a 280 ai but a member here had me work up a load for his 28 Nosler with 175 Bergers. Got a couple 1" groups at 300 yards after running some ladders.

The 110 ultra lights shoot very well. I skim bedded them and tweaked the triggers a bit but other than that they where bone stock. If I bought one I would have it in a mcmillan edge fill and that would be my ideal carry FACTORY rifle

Last edited:
The 110 ultra light with the proof barrel is a very nice rifle. Didn't care for the stock but they shoot well. The first load I tried in a friends 280 ai 110 UL shot 160 Sierra tipped match king in the .6-.75" range at 100.

Not a 280 ai but a member here had me work up a load for his 28 Nosler with 175 Bergers. Got a couple 1" groups at 300 yards after running some ladders.

The 110 ultra lights shoot very well. I skim bedded them and tweaked the triggers a bit but other than that they where bone stock. If I bought one I would have it in a mcmillan edge fill and that would be my ideal carry rifle
They look like very nice rifles for sure I haven't seen one anywhere around here but I'll keep my eye out

Which model did you get they have couple models I like
The Traverse. It's a tiny bit heavier than the Ridgeline, but I love the palm swell in the grip, the wider forearm and monte carlo stock. Felt the most like the Weatherby that I shot for nearly 40 years, which was important to me. I handled Cooper, Fierce, Bergara, Kimber, Montana Rifle Company among a few others. I scoured the different forums (including this one) for thoughts and opinions and determined that you have to take it all with a grain of salt and go with what feels good to you. I love the choice I made.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts