Factory Rifle Preference

jsmitt6

If you had to pick a factory rifle to make a shot out to a mile, which one would you go with and which cartridge? My brother in law is leaning toward the Bergara HMR in 300 PRC and I don't think that is a bad choice.. This is not to be a hunting rifle, but a target rifle to shoot steel from 600 yards out to 1000 yards. Once a year we get together on some family land and put a plate at a mile to send a few prayers out. He has a 6.5 creedmoor and is wanting something with a bit more energy at longer distances.

If you guys are just shooting targets I would want something with less recoil. I am currently putting together a rifle with similar goals in mind while still being huntable. I was dead set on the 300 PRC until I started looking at the data for the 7 PRC. Flatter and faster shooting with less recoil while still having the power to get to the distances you are looking at. I am not sure how prolific factory rifles chambered in it are, but I am sure Bergara and others will start offering them soon depending on your time table.

Wind is the biggest factor when shooting to a mile, TOF is how you control this. Everybody looks at the BC on the box…guess what? It is not the same BC throughout it's travel and the slower the bullet is travelling, the least the BC is going to be.
I want fast when I shoot 1000-2000metres. The quickest I can get the bullet there, the least amount of wind deflection there is going to be.

Neither of those cartridges push bullets fast enough for 1 mile.

Cheers.

Shooting targets you would be surprised how far the little guys go with less recoil. As for factory rifle I've taken a 223 tikka CTR to 1325 with the 75gr ELDMs and don't let the creedbro fool you with proper technique And reloads you can go 1 mile easy

Wind is the biggest factor when shooting to a mile, TOF is how you control this. Everybody looks at the BC on the box…guess what? It is not the same BC throughout it's travel and the slower the bullet is travelling, the least the BC is going to be.
I want fast when I shoot 1000-2000metres. The quickest I can get the bullet there, the least amount of wind deflection there is going to be.

Neither of those cartridges push bullets fast enough for 1 mile.

Cheers.
This is an interesting POV... I'd love to hear more. And agreed on BC not staying the same throughout the entire flight. What cartridge would you grab for 1000-2000 meters?

338-416 Rigby Improved 45° or 375-416 Rigby Improved 40°, pushing heavy pills above 3,000fps.
If I was building another rifle, which I am not, it would be a 33XC or 37XC. Velocity is exactly where it needs to be and recoil and rifle weight are within the refs, the Chey-tac rifles are not.
I know this is informal targets, but why compromise with a PRC that can't even match the WM?

Cheers.

IMHO ,30-378 Weatherby; 300 Weatherby ; 300 Norma ; 300 Win; 30 PRC ; 7mm PRC . I think any of these , in a well built LR Target Rifle, shooting a High BC Bullet , with a Sharp, Bright High Magnification Scope , will hit steel at a Mile. At The Bang Steel Shooting School , last year ,some guy with his new 300 PRC , with a Zero Compromise Scope, hit the one-mile rock , in windy conditions!!! I say Well Done . Just for Starters , I would ask those guys at the Barbour Creek LR school in Alabama what actions, triggers, and barrels and stocks they like to use. Cannot hurt to ask and learn. Id love to know what you finally put together. Please keep us informed.

Go to YouTube and check out "Mark and Sam After Work."
They are awesome. Just watched his 45-70 with open sights video at 1 mile. He must have dang good eyesight!
He also has a video about going from super sonic to subsonic that goes against traditional thought on bullet stability crossing to subsonic.
I think he uses a 22 LR to actually show results. Awesome channel to glean info from.

6.5CM is great to 1400-1500 yds. Have taken it to 1 mile as well but not optimal. I have Bergaras, great rifles. Even took a Bergara 22-250 to 1000 yds (55 gr bullet…light wind day!)
Thinking of either 7PRC or 300 PRC as 2400 yds is next goal. Like the idea of 7 PRC for less recoil.
Next month going to a Bergara Shooting Experience Event and I'm going to ask when they are releasing the 7 PRC and their thoughts releasing a 300 PRC or 7 PRC in a heavy weight conf and maybe a gracoil compression pad…