Factory Rifle

x2 on Alamo-- for a custom built gun with all the fine details they will be hard to beat. 3 rifles from them and all 3 shot factory ammo, out of the box at .5 or better.

Personally, I would have a semi-custom built. You can put together one for less than $2500 using quality parts and a quality smith. Remington action $350, match grade stainless barrel $350, Grayboe/HS/B&C stock $300, bottom metal $150, TriggerTech or Timney $150, Hawkins brake $50, labor for barrel install and fitting the muzzle brake $300-400, labor for fitting the stock and bedding $300-$400. Grand total $2150 at the max and that will be a serious shooter too.
Any smiths you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

350 for the action but then you will want to true it so at that point better off using a stiller or something similar for about 850 which is what you are putting into the maverick

350 for the action but then you will want to true it so at that point better off using a stiller or something similar for about 850 which is what you are putting into the maverick
New Remingtons are as true or more true from the factory than Stillers. Remington has been CNC machining their actions for the last couple years. The smith I use and deal with, Adam Bentley from The Dresden Gun Company, is a top notch gunsmith and he said he doesn't even bother with trueing Remingtons anymore. The last 20 or so he has checked all had tolerances within 0.0003 on all critical areas. He does however fix primary extraction issues on some of them. That's a $150-180 fix. You're still only in it $500 and you have an exceptional action. Don't believe because an action is "custom" that it's perfect. Ask Alex Wheeler, one of the best accuracy smiths in the nation, how many custom actions he trues and fixes. Yes they have some benefits and are nice, but Remingtons are cheaper and will do the same thing for half the cost.

As far as smith recommendations Mike, I highly recommend and will only send my stuff to Adam at The Dresden Gun Company. Until I get my own equipment going, I will only go through him.

I have 2-2.5k budget for a new rifle. I'll choose a mild caliber (7mm-08, 6.5 PRC, 280 AI, 270 wsm etc). I plan to use the rifle as both a primary and backup for anything up to and including elk size. I'm out of the loop these days (spent the last 10 years black powder) and I'm looking for recommendations on quality rifle manufacturers.
I've bought all sorts of factory rifles, and built a few customs/semi customs.
My advice would be to buy a Tikka for $600, get a Criterion prefit in any of the WSM's or saums ($375), and a carbon fiber stock (I like the Mesa Altitude) for $600.
You will never get a better rifle for $1600, or even $2000

I do have a Winchester extreme 270wsm that shoots lights out
X2! I have this rifle and caliber combination and it shoots great! I have a nightforce shv on mine, it's a shooter. Those are 1/2 inch squares on that target, shot at 100 yards.
171DB48B-6A31-491E-AAF1-2A62B28E0934.jpeg

I have 2-2.5k budget for a new rifle. I'll choose a mild caliber (7mm-08, 6.5 PRC, 280 AI, 270 wsm etc). I plan to use the rifle as both a primary and backup for anything up to and including elk size. I'm out of the loop these days (spent the last 10 years black powder) and I'm looking for recommendations on quality rifle manufacturers.
Christiansen in 30prc or a cooper model 52 or 92 in 7mm it's harder to find ammo for the 30prc

Try Shaw Precision Guns in Bridgeville, PA. They build custom guns in something like 117 different calibers. You can select fluted barrels, bolts, and type of stock, etc., and they're beautiful guns. I'm sure you can get one to your liking within your price range and probably less.

I have a Seekins Havak and a Bergara HMR pro. Of the two I would recommend the Bergara, great accuracy and a very nice action feel. One other that has my eye is Cooper Firearms

that's a TON of $$$$$$$ for a Rifle unless you need one that's GOLD plated. Fancy doesn't make it shoot better

with that amount I would go bighorn action and a proof carbon fiber shoulder fit barrel,a take off stock H&S trigger you want and put it together yourself that way if you ever need a new barrel do it yourself or if you want a small cal or bigger bolt head change out and shoulder fit or savage fit just do it at home

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.