Extraction Problem New Sendero SFII

In post #3 AKBman has a pic of a .025" feeler gauge blade inserted between the bolt handle and the receiver. He has little or no extractor cam engagement. If you'll look, every bolt action I can think of has a mechanical means of primary extraction, usually a pair of cams.
Yeah, I see it now.
He didn't mention anything about it in the description, didn't notice it first time through.

Yeah, I see it now.
He didn't mention anything about it in the description, didn't notice it first time through.
Sorry about that! I wasn't 100% on whether I was taking the right measurement, so I was hoping someone would tell me I was off. I am going to run some 0000 steel wool in the chamber to ensure it is as clean as possible, as after a much closer inspection, I did find some very light scratches on a half dozen cases, going to check my sizing die as well.

If the chamber is rough, $%%^&. If the fired cases have scratches, Getting the chamber smooth is the first problem to cure. Other parts of the rifle will not function proper in the extraction and ejection cycling process.

Hoping to have some time next week to do a better inspection of the chamber, and see if it needs some cleaning up.

I agree with shortgrass. You need to load the chamber 1 shell at a time to check just the chamber problem, Rough Lips on the magaxine may be another problem to be dealt with on its own.

Old habit to feed from the magazine, my main bolt rifles in 300 WM and 375 Ruger are both controlled round feed. Going to inspect the magazine follower and feed ramp too.

In March I purchased a new Remington Sendero SF II, after finally deciding on a scopem I finally got to put the first rounds through it yesterday. Talk about disappointment, pulled trigger, bolt lift was super easy as these were starting loads. However the bolt wouldn't move to the rear without some "assistance". From what I have read, it seems this may be a bolt timing problem. The only thing I am not fully understanding, is why it wouldn't do this 100% of the time? In about 8 out of 35 rounds fired, the bolt cycled like normal. As Rem Arms is currently not honoring the Remington warranty, I am seeking a way forward. Part of me wants to send the whole rifle off and have it trued and timed, but I have to say, with the loads it liked, it shot amazing, and I am afraid of messing with that aspect. It definitely needs a new trigger, but that is going to have to wait. I need to time to "recover" from the $2200 investment thus far with my beautiful bride of 31 years, this isn't going over very well with a very sensible woman.
Wow.., the exact same thing happened to me with a Sendero SF II in 264 Win Mag that I bought in October 2020. It shot the old Winchester 140 Gr Power Pts. and Hendershot's 120Gr Barnes TTSX fine, but couldn't extract Nosler 130 Gr Accubond after firing. The cases had scratches near the belt. I have it in for a smith to polish. Hope it fixes the problem!

Dooner, I look forward to hearing what comes of yours! I am in contact with Dan at Accu-Tig, I am going to get him the measurements this weekend, and will likely be sending him my bolt next week.

On a side note:
Not sure how you can use 4 different headstamped brass, powder choices,and bullet choices. So many variables there. That would drive me insane.

On a side note:
Not sure how you can use 4 different headstamped brass, powder choices,and bullet choices. So many variables there. That would drive me insane.
I have been shooting a 300 WM for 30 years, never much beyond 500 yards, never had to shoot an animal at more than 300 yards. In my Ruger with mixed headstamps, it will shoot right around MOA . If I use only Norma brass, trim and hand weigh every single charge, it will cut the group size in half, fun for targets, but not really necessary when 90% of my shots have been under 200.

Recent Posts