Extraction Problem New Sendero SFII

AKBman

In March I purchased a new Remington Sendero SF II, after finally deciding on a scopem I finally got to put the first rounds through it yesterday. Talk about disappointment, pulled trigger, bolt lift was super easy as these were starting loads. However the bolt wouldn't move to the rear without some "assistance". From what I have read, it seems this may be a bolt timing problem. The only thing I am not fully understanding, is why it wouldn't do this 100% of the time? In about 8 out of 35 rounds fired, the bolt cycled like normal. As Rem Arms is currently not honoring the Remington warranty, I am seeking a way forward. Part of me wants to send the whole rifle off and have it trued and timed, but I have to say, with the loads it liked, it shot amazing, and I am afraid of messing with that aspect. It definitely needs a new trigger, but that is going to have to wait. I need to time to "recover" from the $2200 investment thus far with my beautiful bride of 31 years, this isn't going over very well with a very sensible woman.

This could be fixed by the repositioning of the handle, so the extraction cams meet as they should. The Rem 700 bolt handle is silver soldered on. If/When the handle is repositioned tig welding is the preferred method of attachment. Roughly, a $100 job. It would be worth it to examine (bore scope) the chamber for roughness. Polishing the chamber is best accomplished in the lathe, which means the barrel would need to be removed, polished, then re-installed.

Trying to decide if I am going to put off my ling long range pursuit for another summer, and put money away to have the action trued, bolt timed, and maybe a brake installed. Having a decided lack of patience, I will likely look into having the bolt corrected.
20210425_100057.jpg

AKBman, having the action trued is best done when/if you have the rifle re-barreled. Having the extraction timing fixed (bolt handle properly positioned) is a common thing to have done, as few Remington 700s have the extraction cams meeting as they should from the factory. Maybe, the 'new' Remington Arms will do a better job of this once they get going. One can only hope!

Thank you all for the replies, I was thinking that if the rifle had to go in anyhow, I might as well have the other work done at the same time. However, the cost is a definite consideration. Thank you again.

Dave

Be aware, that "truing" an action may include having the barrel tenon threads re-cut. Thus, the existing threads on the factory barrel will no longer fit, they will be under size. Also, having the receiver faced, the locking lugs/surfaces lapped or 'trued', and the bolt face 'trued' may mean the existing barrel will need to be set-back and the chamber will need to be cut deeper. It is hardly worth it for a rifle wearing a 'factory' barrel. That is why action "truing" is normally only done when the barrel is replaced.

AKBman,
Sounds like your gun is putting bullets where you want them and the bolt is just not cycling as smoothly as it should. Before you send her back I think I'd shoot it a bit more and maybe try some different brand ammo. Maybe give the action a real good spray lube and work the bolt a bunch. Bummer to be disappointed with a big purchase like that hope it works out for you. MT

I had a Sendero SF II and had similar issues- turned out I had a rough chamber. Bolt would lift easily, but very difficult to pull back and extract a case. Brass has tons of scratches all over it. Sent it to Remington and sure enough, they polished it up and never had an issue since.

Should be an easy fix for a local gunsmith if that's what is going on.

I would have the bolt handle moved and a Jewell trigger installed.
As Shortgrass mentioned, truing only needs to be done if installing a new barrel so that all aspects of fit match, doing an existing barrel may or may not work due to the barrel threads no longer matching the action threads.
I just completed an RR# serial number and trued it up with the factory barrel and a custom barrel and the threads were fine as is.
Actually, the RR serial number guns I have worked in have been pretty concentric out of the box.

Cheers.

If it's shooting to your liking, just get the handle timed. I wouldn't do anything else unless you are wanting to rebarrel.