Extended length 223 in Rem 700?

ImBillT

Looking for tips on how to extend the length of my 223 ADL magazine beyond that of the Wyatt's extended box and follower. Has anyone actually done this? Thanks in advance.

No, but how long are you intending to go?
Looks like the realm of 2.450"-2.550". Honestly 2.5" is probably plenty, but even light weight bullets are over 2.400" to reach the lands. I may need a different reamer, as honestly, I'm not sure any really pointy bullets will reach the lands while staying in the case.

I'm primarily interest in the 70gr Accubond, which should A) reach the lands fine, and B) be under 2.500". But looking at some of the VLDs and trying to keep the bullet out of the case to a reasonable degree could be pushing 2.600". Also, if I had to get a new reamer, I might go 222mag AI, or 22-204, thus adding another .080".

I've shot a number of 223AIs in 12" and 14" twists using this reamer and been pleased, but I have only shot them one at a time at paper and pdogs. Now that I'm trying to load them in a magazine from the first time I'm scratching my head and wondering why no one ever made something longer. It seems odd to make a 223 and 222mag, and then have to seat bullets to a length that you could load a 222. Seems like there is a lot more space in a 223 than people are using. Maybe that's why my 223AI have always run speeds that seemed a lot higher than people usually claimed.

Cut that little 1/4 spacer out of the back of the mag box.
Are you talking about an AICS pattern detachable? I'm talking about an ADL. I guess I could pull the block at the back and leave the 222 follower in place and see what happens. It originally had a larger block than in a 223, and so I made a smaller block, and the follower kept jamming.

I'm talking adl.
I removed both mine for my .223 as I shoot 75-90 bullets because I have a fast twist and my wife's 6x45 because the same.
You're making me think that a modern box, spring, and follower may be in order.

I've tried removing the spacer block on 2 or 3 BDL mag boxes.. They did NOT feed worth well..

Really would like to see some after market vendor come up with a good ADL, BDL box of 2.5 or 2.6 internal length.. A lot of folks are wanting to use heavier bullets these days.