Rem 700 sendero extended magazine box

Tall

I have a 300 RUM Remington 700 sendero. The problem I have is I want to load the bullets longer than what the stock magazine length. I want to go to a 4" magazine box. I will need a gun smith to do this modification probably. Will I need to change the bottom metal when I do this? Any idea how much this modification should cost?

You won't need to change your factory BDL bottom metal. The Wyatts CFE-9 has a step in the back of the box to allow it to sit over top the back end of the bottom metal slightly. The back end of the action magazine mortise will need to be milled out and the bolt stop modified. I've not seen the need to open the ejection/loading port for the RUM cartridge. The factory opening will eject a empty cartridge just fine. A loaded round however it will not. You would need to push your bolt release and pretty much remove the bolt to get a loaded round out. I've found that to not be too big of an inconvenience as your typically not in a big rush to get a live round out as you would an empty. I also recommend loading the CFE mag boxes from the bottom. You can load 1 into the chamber, close the bolt, flip the rifle over and drop 2 more into the mag box from the bottom. Trying to load from the top typically will scar up your brass trying to push it through the feed lips. Withe the CFE-9 in a HS stock you will also need to slightly open up the web between the magazine box opening and trigger opening. It's best to have the whole rifle in hand to ensure everything fits, clears and functions as it should. I do several of Wyatt mag box modifications each year. For a Wyatts CFE-9 box and action modification I get $150 plus return shipping.

You won't need to change your factory BDL bottom metal. The Wyatts CFE-9 has a step in the back of the box to allow it to sit over top the back end of the bottom metal slightly. The back end of the action magazine mortise will need to be milled out and the bolt stop modified. I've not seen the need to open the ejection/loading port for the RUM cartridge. The factory opening will eject a empty cartridge just fine. A loaded round however it will not. You would need to push your bolt release and pretty much remove the bolt to get a loaded round out. I've found that to not be too big of an inconvenience as your typically not in a big rush to get a live round out as you would an empty. I also recommend loading the CFE mag boxes from the bottom. You can load 1 into the chamber, close the bolt, flip the rifle over and drop 2 more into the mag box from the bottom. Trying to load from the top typically will scar up your brass trying to push it through the feed lips. Withe the CFE-9 in a HS stock you will also need to slightly open up the web between the magazine box opening and trigger opening. It's best to have the whole rifle in hand to ensure everything fits, clears and functions as it should. I do several of Wyatt mag box modifications each year. For a Wyatts CFE-9 box and action modification I get $150 plus return shipping.

This is good to know. I am considering getting one installed on my 700SA, which is currently a 7mm-08 with an ADL style HS Precision stock. What are the pros and cons of the center-feed v. staggered-feed style boxes?

The Wyatt extended boxes are designed to work with a BDL style bottom metal. The ADL boxes are a bit taller. You could in theory put a spacer in the bottom of the stocks magazine box cut out. I've not done this before but don't see why it shouldn't work. I personally prefer the center feed design as it's less susceptible of feeding issues, but in an ADL case the staggered feed may be the better way to go.
Another option would be to change over to a BDL bottom metal. The stock would need to be inletted for it and a new bdl bottom would need to be purchased as well. It's all doable though.

The Wyatt extended boxes are designed to work with a BDL style bottom metal. The ADL boxes are a bit taller. You could in theory put a spacer in the bottom of the stocks magazine box cut out. I've not done this before but don't see why it shouldn't work. I personally prefer the center feed design as it's less susceptible of feeding issues, but in an ADL case the staggered feed may be the better way to go.
Another option would be to change over to a BDL bottom metal. The stock would need to be inletted for it and a new bdl bottom would need to be purchased as well. It's all doable though.

I am hoping to do some serious work on that rifle if I get a settlement for the accident I was in, so I may be looking into changing the bottom metal and a new stock to go with a heavier barrel. Thanks for the info.

I don't understand why gun manufactures don't build there guns with larger magazine boxes to begin with. Especially when the gun is capable of more. Shooting VLD bullets is the biggest problem because by the time you have to shove that tiny missile shaped projectile way down in the cartridge to make it fit in the mag box, I am loosing 200 ft per second because of either excessive pressure and or lack of enough room for powder to push the projectile to the speed it needs to fly good. I don't like to load single shot if I don't have to. Thank you for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.