Experience with 358 STA

I am sure there are some Trail Boss loads that would be fine. Some of the light loads in large cartridges talk about putting Cream of Wheat in as a filler or cotton (cotton ball I guess). I have an old Lyman cast bullet manual so for a big case I looked at a .45-90 using 14g (18.2g max) of Unique behind a 400g plain base lead bullet. I do not have much experience with light loads. Be SURE the bullet makes it out of the barrel before firing a second one!!! Lots of information on such on the WEB. I would think 10g of Unique behind a 158g lead bullet would be fine, but I have not done such in quite a while and have no notes on the subject: you are on your own. Unique is powerful, be certain that you do not double charge when loading light loads. I use a plastic rod to check that all the cases are filled to the same level.

Very interesting! I'll have to give those a try after I figure out the Cutting Edge loads.

Little late to this thread, just found it. I have a STA built on a M700, 24" Douglas barrel, Bansner Sheephunter stock, Talley rings, and Leupold VariX-III 2.5-8x36. Rattlecan textured stock paint with automotive clearcoat. Weighs about 7.5lbs with 3 rounds and sling. It's a beast on the bench for sure. Balances well and it'll shoot better than I can. I've tried a few other bullets but my go to is 225 partitions at around 3150fps. I started with 3 boxes Quality Cartridge rounds and used the brass to reload but switched to Superior Ammo brass. Other than rifles handed down from my Grandfather and my Dad, this is my only one. Good for groundhogs to grizzly bears.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.