Experience with 358 STA

35 Whelen

The 358 STA has all ways been a very interesting cartridge to me and I'm very seriously thinking of building one.
I was just wondering if any one here has any experience with it.
What bullets, game, range, ect.

Thanks

I may have to get that reamer from you. After the first of the year if you still have it let me know, I'm hoping my medical bills will be under control were I can breath better by then.

The .358 AI magnum basically the same thing. We had 2, killed moose, caribou, bear, goat, deer, elk, and antelope. Devastating with 250 grain Nosler Partitions @ 3000 FPS.
Never really got the full potential from it due to lack of good bullets.
Today I'd build off the RUM case, and set it up to shoot the Hammer's.

I have read about the 358 UMT in the book cartridges of the world and thought about it too. I know quality cartridge makes brass for the 358 STA and I like being able to have brass with the right head stamp. They are both very close and as I have not started still have time to make a final chose.

Brass is now available from Quality and RCBS has the dies so it should be a simple build. Or you can make it buy necking the 8 mm rem mag brass if you can find some.

It is still considered a wild cat, so plan on loading for it. It is a very powerful cartridge (Average 150 ft/sec faster than the 358 Norma Mag) so I would recommend a muzzle brake if you build a light weight rifle less than 8.5 pounds.

J E CUSTOM

More important than any difference between the 2 is bullet selection. Which is really barrel selection. The 254 Hammer Hunter needs a 1-13" twist. 1-12" is likely what I would do.
The addition of so many mono's into the game makes the .358's an appealing choice. So many of the older bullets, are for the Whelen. The fast twist magnums are tough on them.

Brass is now available from Quality and RCBS has the dies so it should be a simple build. Or you can make it buy necking the 8 mm rem mag brass if you can find some.

It is still considered a wild cat, so plan on loading for it. It is a very powerful cartridge (Average 150 ft/sec faster than the 358 Norma Mag) so I would recommend a muzzle brake if you build a light weight rifle less than 8.5 pounds.

J E CUSTOM
I love my 35 Whelen and with new powders I have seen no real need to step up to the 358 Norma (witch is a grate one too), and that's what drew me to the 358 STA. I will defiantly put a good recoil pad on it, I have never liked muzzle brakes as I hate the noise they make, but it has crossed my mind for the 358 STA.

More important than any difference between the 2 is bullet selection. Which is really barrel selection. The 254 Hammer Hunter needs a 1-13" twist. 1-12" is likely what I would do.
The addition of so many mono's into the game makes the .358's an appealing choice. So many of the older bullets, are for the Whelen. The fast twist magnums are tough on them.
Yes I would do a 1 - 12. I have the Whelens all have different twist, 16, 14, and 12. It will be used mainly for elk, bear, and may be mule deer, so I would was thinking of using nothing less than 250gr. partions, a frames, or triple shock. The hammers would be a good chose too, I forget about them as I do not know as much about them.

If you're committed to the Partition, I wouldn't go as fast as 1-12". Unnecessary stress on the bullet. Good terminal performance, but accuracy for a long range rifle wasn't encouraging.
I started without a break, first session without it took me out from under my hat. 9 lb rifle.
Very tough on the rest of system, issues that may not have showed up in a Whelen will with the bigger versions. Such as crimping a scope tube.

I love my 35 Whelen and with new powders I have seen no real need to step up to the 358 Norma (witch is a grate one too), and that's what drew me to the 358 STA. I will defiantly put a good recoil pad on it, I have never liked muzzle brakes as I hate the noise they make, but it has crossed my mind for the 358 STA.

I understand about the Muzzle brake and recommend that some should install a brake so they can enjoy the rifle at the range and then remove it for hunting. I have even made a blank that weighted the same for the replacement instead of the Barrel nut/thread protector.

I still have a few rifles without brakes, but only hunt with them. PS: I still use minimum ear protection when hunting to save what hearing I have left.

J E CUSTOM

The .358 AI magnum basically the same thing. We had 2, killed moose, caribou, bear, goat, deer, elk, and antelope. Devastating with 250 grain Nosler Partitions @ 3000 FPS.
Never really got the full potential from it due to lack of good bullets.
Today I'd build off the RUM case, and set it up to shoot the Hammer's.

Which is essentially the "quite old" 350 Griffin and Howe! I have a friend that bought (350 Griffin and Howe) one from Basil Bradbury! It's a little too "purdy" to hunt with, even though it was built with all the "stuff" you would want in a "big" game rifle! memtb

....Which is essentially the "quite old" 350 Griffin and Howe! I have a friend that bought (350 Griffin and Howe) one from Basil Bradbury! It's a little too "purdy" to hunt with, even though it was built with all the "stuff" you would want in a "big" game rifle! memtb.......

My recollection(and I've hit my head a few times) Wasn't the G&H just the .300 H&H necked up? More equivalent to the Norma. The AI, and STA versions are blown out quite a bit.

Another to consider is .35/375 Ruger. Just depends on what action etc one is going to use, and anticipated use.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.