358 STA build

jakedjones

so I've recently acquired an M700 in 300 Win Mag, but she's not going to be a 300 Win Mag for long. Going to have my local gun smith at nine run gun in screven Georgia rebarrel her into a 358 STA. Just wanting some input as to what you guys think I should aim for, this will be my first custom build. Goal is to have the gun be a big game rig for brown bear, moose and the like. Just curious as to if anyone had any inputs as far as necessary upgrades to make this thing a really sweet shooter and hunting rifle. I'd like input on recommended barrels, stocks, triggers that sort of thing. Pros and cons for any of them

I just looked it up. Based on what I found and your wants I'd say 20"-22" and launch the 178gr hammer. I was able to get 3100fps out of a .358 norma and a 16" barrel. Thing is simply amazing when it hits game

I just looked it up. Based on what I found and your wants I'd say 20"-22" and launch the 178gr hammer. I was able to get 3100fps out of a .358 norma and a 16" barrel. Thing is simply amazing when it hits game
I've got an 8mm rem mag that slings a 220 gr A-frame at 3000. Plan on launching some heavy 280's or bigger. Don't really need a 358STA but need and want are two different things and daddy's got spending money

Great cartridge! While I don't have one, because of the limitations in Africa….. for NA a great choice. I'm a great fan of the .35 magnums, especially the .358 STA and the 350 G&H which are near twins!

Things I did to my .375 AI…… iron sights with 2 leaf folding rear, forward sling swivel mounted on the barrel (lowers the muzzle when carrying slung helping in brush/limbs, also eliminates the possibility (though remote) of the swivel getting into the web of the hand during recoil), quick release base/rings (I went with Leupold) with a back-up scope zero's and ready if needed. I went with a 24" Douglas SS Match of the lightest contour, a good synthetic stock (I went McMillan Classic), good recoil pad (I went Pachmyar Decellerator). The 24" barrel gives good velocities and with the sling swivel barrel mounted keeps the muzzle quite low when carried on the shoulder. I recommend trying to keep the weight very near 9 pounds scoped, loaded, slung…..any lighter and recoil may be an issue from the bench, any heavier and it gets a bit heavy on a long day of hunting/climbing! memtb

Last edited:
Tagging in. I have a 300 Weatherby that I was hoping to turn into a 358 STA but with components the way they are right now I'm not so sure. I also contacted Pac-Nor to do the barrel and fitting but they do not have the reamers since they were lost in the fire. I've had them do a couple of builds for me and they do quality work. Also any info on a good smith that could do this build is appreciated.

Tagging in. I have a 300 Weatherby that I was hoping to turn into a 358 STA but with components the way they are right now I'm not so sure. I also contacted Pac-Nor to do the barrel and fitting but they do not have the reamers since they were lost in the fire. I've had them do a couple of builds for me and they do quality work. Also any info on a good smith that could do this build is appreciated.
I've had Weatherby work done by bob hart and it turned out amazing just struggled with customer service.
Been using Pierce engineering lately for everything and been very happy every time

The 358STA is a great cartridge that doesn't get the respect it deserves. I played quite a bit with the 250grn Partition & 225 TSX. The Barnes shot less than 1" @ 100 with very little work up. Recoil can be quite stout however & is probably the reason I don't shoot it any more. If I recall correctly, I was running the 225 @ right around 3200fps... I think.... from a 26" barrel.

I'd definitely put a brake on it & perhaps a mercury recoil reducer in the stock but, i'm a wimp lol

Hopefully you can get it together & go stack some critters with it, just a super cool cartridge that hits like a sledgehammer.

t

We ran a couple of .358 AI magnums years ago. Very lethal.

Down sides of the time were a lack of good bullets.

A good stiff stock is essential. A lot more sturdy optics around these days as well.

I'd make sure the barrel twist was on the fast side, and run mono's in whatever weight desired. At least 1-12"

Just a thought but if I wanted a big .35 these days the RUM case or like is where I would start.

I have a 360 Imperial magnum which is .358RUM but with a 28 degree shoulder. This is where Remington got the RUM cartridges from. I shoot 250 grain speer hot cores out of it. Recoil is rather heavy from a 250 grain bullet going 3050 fps, so my only recomendation for you 358 STA is to put a good brake on it. I put a Heathen on mine and Im really happy with it.

Recent Posts