358 Wildcats

MountainMariner

Got to thinking the other day and was wondering what .358 caliber wildcat cartridges are out there. I have a 350 Remington Magnum and the thought of a 350 Remington ULTRA magnum popped into my head. What's the highest BC bullet out there for the 358 and has a 358 with a 250 grain bullet ever been pushed to over 3000fps?

I have a 350 Griffin & Howe and a 358 STA. Both are power houses and I really like them. The 350 G & H is based off of a 375 H&H case and the 358 STA is based off of a 8 mm Rem mag.

What bullets are you using?

My Ruger 350 Rem Mag can't use the 250 grain Hornady SP due to magazine constraints. It does shoot the 200's nicely at 2730 fps though. Anyone have a fix for the Ruger M77 MKII so I can seat the bullets out farther? The cannelure is well below the case mouth and the five rounds I shot were only getting 2125 fps with 49.0 grains of IMR 4064. I'd be happier shooting 250's around 2300-2400 fps. Even happier if I could shoot heavier than 250's at around 2900-3000 with any .358....

Cutting edge has a 340 gr bullet that has a .920 BC. Might work well in a single shot necked up 338 Lapua.

Cutting edge has a 340 gr bullet that has a .920 BC. Might work well in a single shot necked up 338 Lapua.

I did not know anyone made such a high BC bullet for the 358. Just checked out the Cutting Edge website. This is getting interesting. And I have a 338 Lapua that needs a new barrel siting right here. COL would be a very long 4.194 though. Definitely a single shot rifle.

2900-3000 fps with 250 grain bullets is achievable with any of the full length belted wildcats.

Bullet situation is a little better for .358's these days, it's been a decade or 2 since I played the .358 game but those older bullets like the Hornady never offered enough accuracy to be "long range" at magnum velocity, slowed down to Whelen velocities they shot pretty well. The Nosler Partition will hammer a moose, but again I've not seen the consistency required for long range shooting.

I like the idea of the improved Lapua, and the 340 Cutting Edge. I'd start with a custom action with enough size, and a barrel with enough twist.

If going with a standard "magnum length" action, I'd use the RUM case, and see if Cutting Edge would make me something in the 275-300 grain range.

Have fun sounds interesting.

I'm shooting 250 grn Swift A-Frame in my 350 G&H, Barnes 225 grn in my 358 STA, Hornady 250 grn in my 358 Norma Mag and 225 grn in my 35 Whelen. I haven't ran any of them over a chrony yet but I have killed lots of game (moose, mountain goat, deer) with them.

You must have a real dilemma picking a 358 for a hunt! Nice collection. Curious which one do you take to the field the most?

The 350 Griffin & Howe has went to the field the most. I have a soft spot for the 35 caliber. I give my oldest son my 356 Winchester and as soon as I finish load development for the 358 Norma Mag, its going to my youngest son.

That sound good to have several other`s to work with . One bullet that is needed is a match bullet, but You searched for .356 - Peregrine Bullets these guys make that and plenty more. Hoping to find a importer of them over here . Wil ltry some for my .358 norma magnum. One flat bullet to try is Nosler Accubond. adly with the Norma working with the .358 through the year`s in the popularity setup , it is almost a wildcat round . factory ammo is made however, in 250 Oryx and 232 FMJ, that is a practice, small game round.

Don't forget to include the .350 Wells Express. Fred build this 35 cal. wildcat by necking down the .378 Weatherby case. Fred was a huge fan of everything 35 caliber. He even necked the 577 Rimless down just to say it had been done.

Regards.

A guy is going to neck down our 585HE case to .357,

going full length with our case,

He saw the the one another guy did making the

375 Warlord wildcat and caught the fever. Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.