.358 or .366 wildcat on a 300 weatherby?

apercep

So, I have looked far and wide for this, and have come up empty handed.. I would love to know if it has been done? If it can be done? and if anyone here has any experience with it? I have a decent amount of .300 wby brass and really like the larger cal.

I dont think this would be worth the trouble.
Look at the .375 H&H, .375 Ruger or the .375 Rum.
They got about the same case capacity, slightly bigger bores and better bullet availability.
Plus you dont need any custom dies &c.

So, I have looked far and wide for this, and have come up empty handed.. I would love to know if it has been done? If it can be done? and if anyone here has any experience with it? I have a decent amount of .300 wby brass and really like the larger cal.
The 300 wby is itself a blown out 300h&h. The 358 sta is a blown out/necked up 8mm rem mag(itself an offspring of the h&h cartridges) and is about equal to the 338 ultra in performance. The 366 bores are rather sedate performance wise, so I doubt you would get great bullet performance at full speed with that caliber. If you build in 358 sta nosler and barnes have data in their books for handloading data. I would own a 358 sta, but since I have a 338win and a 375h&h, I really don't have a need for it.

You're question pretty well was answered by lefty. I fooled with the ackley version a bit. At the time bullett selection really limited the 358 caliber. It's pretty easy to run a 250 grain bullet 3000 fps. If you can find a high bc bullet for long range work it might be worth it. Killed antelope, moose, caribou, and deer and its effective. A good 280 Accubond or Cutting Edge, or Berger. Might tip the scales, but if I were to go back that way the RUM case is where I'd start.

I appreciate all the replies.. But the reason i was looking into this is because i have a lot of 300 wby brass, and a vanguard that is gonna need a new barrel sooner than later.. I already roll my own and just like the idea of a 358. More energy for the same powder.. And remember, the .375 Wby is a 300wby necked up to .378.. I just want to go to .358 ( or 366 just for the uniqueness of it).. I mainly wanted to know if there was an established cartridge already.. and the loads run through it.. I have little doubt that it will be a fun and effective round.

That makes sense, somehow I skipped the "lots of .300 Wby brass" part, sorry for my post above.
Look at the german 9.3x64, it has about 10 grains less water capacity but could be a start for a .366 caliber build.

in .336, I'd be looking at the Nosler Partitions.. For the .358, I might try the hornaday interbond, partitions, or for s&g, the Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized..

The 300 wby is itself a blown out 300h&h. The 358 sta is a blown out/necked up 8mm rem mag(itself an offspring of the h&h cartridges) and is about equal to the 338 ultra in performance. The 366 bores are rather sedate performance wise, so I doubt you would get great bullet performance at full speed with that caliber. If you build in 358 sta nosler and barnes have data in their books for handloading data. I would own a 358 sta, but since I have a 338win and a 375h&h, I really don't have a need for it.

How is .366 any different, in respect of performance due to size than .358??

I'm using 250gn 9.3 Barnes TSX in a 9.3x62 mauser @2500fps and it shoots and kills well, hate think what it would do if you speed it up in wildcat like a 9.3/300 Weatherby or a 9.3/338 Ultra mag or in a short case 9.3/338 Norma mag.
I would also try the Nosler 250gn Accubonds If you wanted something with a better B.C. and if you wanted to go up in weight you could try the 320gn Woodleigh bullets. There's a good selection of 9.3 bullets from several bullet makers like Nosler, Barnes, Norma, Lapua, GS Custom, etc...
It would be a great North American and African round.lightbulb
Good Luck.

Upon further research, one of three things is going to happen to my Vanguard..

1.) It will become a .358sta

2.) It will become a .366nmw (northmainewoods)

3.) It will become a .470 capstick

I'm leaning towards the .358 just for available info.. But i'd love to have a unique .366... The .470 would just be nasty, and fun. but i would have to get all new brass for it..

How is .366 any different, in respect of performance due to size than .358??
In a mono or partition bullet you would do well, but the more standard 36 cal. are designed below what your talking of for speed range, using the wby brass as a basis. I wouldn't use standard 37 cal or lighter 35 cal either if you went with those calibers.

Upon further research, one of three things is going to happen to my Vanguard..

1.) It will become a .358sta

2.) It will become a .366nmw (northmainewoods)

3.) It will become a .470 capstick

I'm leaning towards the .358 just for available info.. But i'd love to have a unique .366... The .470 would just be nasty, and fun. but i would have to get all new brass for it..

No 375 WBY??? Seriously, any of the above would be great bigger rounds. I'd re-chamber my h@h to 375 WBY but it's a lightweight and at 8# scoped it's light enough and recoils enough already. The 458 Lott would be another great option with factory brass easier to get if you want to go big like the Capstick. The Capstick sounds like a winner, but I still like the Lott with it's ability to fire 458 win ammo in a pinch.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.