358 Wildcats

In probably 1978 I went to the range. Just me and one old guy in bib overalls. He caught me looking over his shoulder at the rifle he was shooting. He half handed, half tossed it to me. I did manage to not drop it. It was Al Biesen, the rifle belonged to Reza Pahlavi the Iranian Prince. One of a set commemorating the Big 5. This was the .375 H&H, gold inlay, engraved checkered the works. Classy gentleman, Prince of Iran, or snot nosed newbie, all the same.

2- 300 Win Mag wildcats.jpg
Lots of talk on necking the 300 Win Mag down to 7mm

Nobody ever talks about necking it up to 358, fairly simply operation ..

I was able to neck all these up in the order depicted with plenty of Imperial sizing wax

Hey Swamplord is there an advantage to necking 300 win mag brass to 458?
Can you load more powder in the case than 45-70 case ?
I have never neck brass to different dimensions before,up or down but it looks like you have and has the tools to do it.
Where can a person get the tools you have?

some dude on the Wildcats page on Facebook was asking about a 375-300 Win Mag or something and I made these cases to show that it can easily be done, even up to 458 cal,

not sure why people believe the 45-70 is such a powerhouse, technically it's not all that .... all it has going for it is bullet diameter and I much prefer the 500 S&W over it, even a 458 WSM has 10-12 gr more powder capacity, the 458 Win mag is 2.5" in length and compares in capacity to the 458 WSM, a 300 WM necked up to 458 will shorten up a bit by opening the neck but should still have somewhat more capacity over the 458 WM, the 45-70 is not even close to any of these, especially if you can run them in bolt actions at 60+ k psi,

you can easily neck up 300 WM mag brass by using the expanders in the standard caliber diameters shown in photo, You can use any brand of a full length die in any of the belted mags, just adjust height accordingly to prevent from running into the neck part and change out expander for each successive step, can also cut down, neck down and fireform from the longer belted brass like 300 WBY, 375 H&H, 8mm RM etc., pretty sure this has already been done multiple times over the years

what's cooler is a 338 RUM case necked up to 458 cal, and even better is the similar capacity but shorter n fatter 338 Norma Mag necked up to 458 cal

I have a set of CH4D basic die bodies from belted mag diameter cases up to 375 CT and all calibers of expander balls from 22 cal to 510 cal along with bushings to neck down the cases with

contact CH4D for more info on case forming dies and misc parts, good folks to deal with

That 458 necked up 300 win mag sounds like a thumper.
I shot a 458 Lott years ago in an older Winchester Safari bolt action rifle and if your not holding the rifle hard into your shoulder it could knock a small person down.
My main interest is the 358.
Thanks and have a great day.
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.