Wildcats

if you don't mind me picking your brain more, here's another one for you mudrunner, given the poor choice of bullets in 25 cal, and a rather good selection in 6mm, does a guy go with a 243 AI or the 25-06 Ai?

I think I want to shoot 70-80 grain bullets beings i'm going to be using it for lighter game and varmints

Well, those are 2 different animals. You're talking about a small capacity small bore with moderate speed with 75-80 grain bullets, and you have a small bore, larger capacity that pushes heavier bullets to speeds in excess of the other cartridge with smaller and lighter bullets. It's all in what you want. Both are great cartridges.

Personally, I prefer the option of being able to push light bullets REALLY fast, and heavy bullets fast...Since that gives you more adaptability for varmint hunting or if you want to hunt bigger game. So, between the 2, I would choose the .25-06 AI. But that is just my personal preference. You have to decide for yourself which one is right for you.

If you are wanting to use it for deer and antelope and other game this size, I'd go for the bigger/heavier .25 caliber bullets. Once again, just my personal opinion.

What brass do you use? Is it a total pain to neck down lapua 30-06?

You can, and some folks do. But it will require (IMO) an extra step to properly neck it down. I have necked-down some .30-06 brass before, and I FL sized it in a .30-06 die, then ran it through a FL sizing .270 Win die, then ran them through my FL sizing .25-06 AI die. Then I trimmed the brass about .020" longer than SAAMI .25-06 Rem spec (which is 2.494"), so I trimmed them down to 2.514" long, then chamfered and deburred them, then I primed and loaded them for fire-forming.

I use Winchester brand .270 Win brass that I got once-fired for $25 per 100 shipped. It is a 1-step process to neck them down to .25 caliber, then I trim and chamfer and deburr. Then I prime them, and load them with a 75-85% charge of RL 19, then seat the bullets where they are pressed into the lands and the bolt is stiff and has some resistance when you close it. Then you shoot them in 5-shot strings and let it cool down completely between shot strings. I usually form 50 in a range session, and those 50 should last you quite a while.

if you aren't set on 25 cal. I would look at the 243 AI. sweet little round, paired with a 1-7 twist you can shoot 115 bergers at good velocity.

that is a very good all purpose hunting round and long range target round.

a seasoned wildcater my favorate is the 6.5/06 . However it will not do what your 264 win will do and the 264 is designed for the 140 grain bullet at about 3100 fps no othe 6.5 will out do your 264 winchester. as for the 7mm remingon mag it too is by fat the best 7mm mag. I load the 7mm stw for my neighbor and it take a hell of more powder for 50 fps. it is not worth the trouble.

people who shoot wildcats are reloaders who want something that will out perform the standard round. today my addition will be something that will out perform the 35 remington magnum in 24"barrels.. that would be a 35 brown whelen- or a 35 gibbs which is the same. it will equal the 338 winchester and a bit larger dia bullet. all on a standard length 2.5" non magnum case. a 225 bullet at 2825.& 250 at 2750 with reloader 15 powder . a good place for start 35 whelen data Plus 5%.

I did a .338 RUM necked to 6.5. But I had a neck reamer extend the neck so I can use .300 RUM brass to have a longer neck for longer barrel life. It runs 3,419 feet per second with Nosler 140 grainers.

The AI is a simple change in the sholder angle and the body id blown out to hold a little more powder. my experience with the AI is that on a 63 mm case which the 30/06 case your really do not get much improvement until you get to 30 cal. I know a lot of people say the 280 AI is a real go get her, but I like the regular 280. I am sure you cannot gain much with a 25/06 AI and I know that you cannot improve the 270 Winchester. now the real improved case is the 338/06 AI and the 35 whelen AI. now on a 57 mm case the 257 Roberts up is really good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.