Experience with 358 STA

My recollection(and I've hit my head a few times) Wasn't the G&H just the .300 H&H necked up? More equivalent to the Norma. The AI, and STA versions are blown out quite a bit.

Another to consider is .35/375 Ruger. Just depends on what action etc one is going to use, and anticipated use.

I'll have to do some research, but, I gave my buddy 50 rounds of .375 H&H brass to get the rifle ready to hunt with. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that it was similar to the STA! Now, you have me wondering! o_O memtb

I've always thought that (for hand-loaders) a "hot rod" .35 caliber would be a great cartridge choice, especially with today's bullets offered. Load it to the maximum for big game and long range, or load it down with handgun (cast or jacketed) for cheap, low recoil plinking/varmint shooting! memtb

I've always thought that (for hand-loaders) a "hot rod" .35 caliber would be a great cartridge choice, especially with today's bullets offered. Load it to the maximum for big game and long range, or load it down with handgun (cast or jacketed) for cheap, low recoil plinking/varmint shooting! memtb

I am in the process of building a 358 RUM for my younger brother so we will see what it can do once it is together. He already has a 35 whelan and is impressed with it.

J E CUSTOM

I have a 358STA in a 1917 Remington Enfield that I had built by Montana rifle company 20 years ago. 23" barrel 12twist weighs somewhere around 9lbs no break recoil is stout but not unmanageable Killed a couple deer with it carried it on a Wyoming bear hunt. I just necked up 8mm mag brass and fire formed.

I have a rifle built on a Winchester M70 Classic action (pre 64) with a 1:12 twist, 24" Krieger #5 barrel and McMillan stock. It is too light in weight for the 358 STA round. As others have recommended, a muzzle brake is a sound investment. My rifle has iron sights with a quick detachable scope, so a muzzle brake was an "immediate" afterthought. Brass is easy to form from 8mm Rem Mag brass and A-Square did make ammo for it (got two boxes). I shoot both the 7mm STW and 8mm Rem Mag. They aren't in the league of the 358 STA, if loaded with heavy bullets. You are in the 375 H&H category. If you are going to shoot up to 200-225 grain bullets, just go with something like the 8mm Rem Mag or equivalent. You will find it far more manageable and less expensive. I also have a 416 Rem Mag and recoil from the 358 STA is in that category (without a brake). It is my opinion that the 358 STA doesn't come into its own until you get to 250-275 grain bullets. With the heavier bullets, comes increased recoil. As a previous post pointed out, "you will know the second you pull the trigger". You will need to use premium bullets such as Swift A-Fames, Woodleighs, etc. and they are expensive. Bullets with light jackets will just come apart. Dies are special order and mine cost around $200.00 for a three die set. I feel it is a little much for Elk and I don't hunt Elk with it. The Elk that I've taken have all been killed with a 300 Win Mag. As many have said, "A larger caliber weapon will never take the place of proper bullet placement". Game for the 358 STA start at Moose size and the great bears in North America are on the menu. I would have no problem using the rifle for lesser game in Grizzly or Kodiak country. It is accurate and will do it's job. However, this ain't Grandpa's deer rifle, unless you have deer larger that Moose. Handloading is a must, since factory loaded ammunition is almost non-existent. If you plan to hunt a foreign country, some have laws that state the head stamp (caliber) on the brass must be the same as stamped on the rifle. You may also find that some African countries have a minimum bore diameter that is greater than .358 for dangerous game. Many will argue that the .358 STA will shoot flatter and penetrate deeper than the .375 H&H. I agree. However, the 375 H&H has been around forever and it does works. Like the 30-06, 270, 30-30 in the lower 48, everybody in dangerous game country have ammunition for the 375 H&H. Can you carry enough .358 STA ammunition to a foreign country to re-sight your rifle with a new scope, if your scope is broken in transit? I have no desire to part with my 358 STA and would tackle anything in North America with it. However, I felt that you should know some of the things that I have encountered and learned about the .358 STA. Like others, I had to have one and have never regretted it.

Mark, That sounds like a nice rifle....should be a great, "utility", do it all, rifle! what is the weight of your STA, scoped, loaded, slung? memtb

The rifle weighs close to 9lbs loaded with 4 rounds of ammunition. The scale that I am using is not the most accurate. Also, I stand to be corrected on the manufacturer of the factory ammunition I have. The ammunition was made by Superior Ammunition with 280gr Swift A-Frames, not A-Square. My apology!

A quality Muzzle Brake would definitely make the rifle much more enjoyable to shoot, without adding additional weight. However, the front sight will have to be moved to allow enough barrel, forward of the sight, to be threaded. Most hunting guides automatically frown at the thought of a client using a muzzle brake. It is also hard to keep ear protection around your neck all day long. For hunting, I would remove the Brake and re-sight it. The rifle has a traditional style McMillan Supergrade stock. After placing McMillan Game Warden stocks on my heavy barrel rifles, I would prefer a stock similar to the Game Warden with the near vertical pistol grip such as their Game Hunter. I feel this style stock with vertical pistol grip provides more control and less recoil pain.

I am in the process of building a 358 RUM for my younger brother so we will see what it can do once it is together. He already has a 35 whelan and is impressed with it.

J E CUSTOM
A 35 caliber on the RUM case is another good option. It is listed in the cartridges of the world as the 358 UMT (ultra mag. Towsley). They are both hand loader cartridges witch I have no problem with as I hand load and enjoy it. One thing I like about the 358 STA is I can get brass from Quality Cartridge with the right head stamp. Other wise they are both are very similar very hard hitting cartridges. And for some wild reason and being a rifle loving guy I want one.

I have a rifle built on a Winchester M70 Classic action (pre 64) with a 1:12 twist, 24" Krieger #5 barrel and McMillan stock. It is too light in weight for the 358 STA round. As others have recommended, a muzzle brake is a sound investment. My rifle has iron sights with a quick detachable scope, so a muzzle brake was an "immediate" afterthought. Brass is easy to form from 8mm Rem Mag brass and A-Square did make ammo for it (got two boxes). I shoot both the 7mm STW and 8mm Rem Mag. They aren't in the league of the 358 STA, if loaded with heavy bullets. You are in the 375 H&H category. If you are going to shoot up to 200-225 grain bullets, just go with something like the 8mm Rem Mag or equivalent. You will find it far more manageable and less expensive. I also have a 416 Rem Mag and recoil from the 358 STA is in that category (without a brake). It is my opinion that the 358 STA doesn't come into its own until you get to 250-275 grain bullets. With the heavier bullets, comes increased recoil. As a previous post pointed out, "you will know the second you pull the trigger". You will need to use premium bullets such as Swift A-Fames, Woodleighs, etc. and they are expensive. Bullets with light jackets will just come apart. Dies are special order and mine cost around $200.00 for a three die set. I feel it is a little much for Elk and I don't hunt Elk with it. The Elk that I've taken have all been killed with a 300 Win Mag. As many have said, "A larger caliber weapon will never take the place of proper bullet placement". Game for the 358 STA start at Moose size and the great bears in North America are on the menu. I would have no problem using the rifle for lesser game in Grizzly or Kodiak country. It is accurate and will do it's job. However, this ain't Grandpa's deer rifle, unless you have deer larger that Moose. Handloading is a must, since factory loaded ammunition is almost non-existent. If you plan to hunt a foreign country, some have laws that state the head stamp (caliber) on the brass must be the same as stamped on the rifle. You may also find that some African countries have a minimum bore diameter that is greater than .358 for dangerous game. Many will argue that the .358 STA will shoot flatter and penetrate deeper than the .375 H&H. I agree. However, the 375 H&H has been around forever and it does works. Like the 30-06, 270, 30-30 in the lower 48, everybody in dangerous game country have ammunition for the 375 H&H. Can you carry enough .358 STA ammunition to a foreign country to re-sight your rifle with a new scope, if your scope is broken in transit? I have no desire to part with my 358 STA and would tackle anything in North America with it. However, I felt that you should know some of the things that I have encountered and learned about the .358 STA. Like others, I had to have one and have never regretted it.
I would put a good recoil pad on it like a limsaver, or decelerator, I am thinking of going a head with a muzzle brake with a thread cap. I was thinking of using partion 250gr, Woodleigh 275gr, or a-frame 250gr. and 280gr. bullets. I do elk hunt in grizzle country some times and that is very likely to become more often. Thanks for telling your experience.

I shoot a 358 Winchester with great result. The 35 Whelen is well thought of in N. Louisiana as used in single shot exposed hammer PRIMITIVE (ha) rifles. I will build a 358 RUM soon just for fun, no doubt about the lethality of such a round. My 375 RUM barrel is on my lathe waiting on the reamer. Anything over 30cal is great for hunting. Model 70 (or Ruger 77) is right for dangerous game: Mauser extractor makes the second shot very reliable, much more so than the Remington or Savage actions.

I shoot a 358 Winchester with great result. The 35 Whelen is well thought of in N. Louisiana as used in single shot exposed hammer PRIMITIVE (ha) rifles. I will build a 358 RUM soon just for fun, no doubt about the lethality of such a round. My 375 RUM barrel is on my lathe waiting on the reamer. Anything over 30cal is great for hunting. Model 70 (or Ruger 77) is right for dangerous game: Mauser extractor makes the second shot very reliable, much more so than the Remington or Savage actions.
I have 35 Whelen rifles and love them a lot. It has a lot more power than most people thinks it has and the 358 STA just takes that up to a hole new level, and that gets me a little excited.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts