Experience with 358 STA

I'm quite familiar with .358STA - Light Weight Chet Brown Stocked Ole Remington 700 1 in 12 twist 24" barrel
It is happy with any med/slo powder (4350, Norma, etc) 250 gr. Pills, Swift, old HT's, North Fork, & Speer Grand Slams - loaded to 3000fps. - there is nothing on this continent I would hesitate to use it on - Big Bears should they want to visit; But was devastating on Big Alberta 5X5 Whitetail (400 metres) entered just in front of rt.Front 1/4 and recovered in skin on left rear 1/4 passing thru front shoulder, innards, & left hips [thin but effective wound channel, lil meat damage as bullet mushroomed & stayed together] dropped instantly- also Moose @ 200+- yds. was elevated off the ground turned 180 Degrees and landed flat on opposite side and still - No Too Old to shoot off bench - (except site in) BUT not noticeable when Hunting !!!!

I'm quite familiar with .358STA - Light Weight Chet Brown Stocked Ole Remington 700 1 in 12 twist 24" barrel
It is happy with any med/slo powder (4350, Norma, etc) 250 gr. Pills, Swift, old HT's, North Fork, & Speer Grand Slams - loaded to 3000fps. - there is nothing on this continent I would hesitate to use it on - Big Bears should they want to visit; But was devastating on Big Alberta 5X5 Whitetail (400 metres) entered just in front of rt.Front 1/4 and recovered in skin on left rear 1/4 passing thru front shoulder, innards, & left hips [thin but effective wound channel, lil meat damage as bullet mushroomed & stayed together] dropped instantly- also Moose @ 200+- yds. was elevated off the ground turned 180 Degrees and landed flat on opposite side and still - No Too Old to shoot off bench - (except site in) BUT not noticeable when Hunting !!!!
Thanks, very good info. What bullets did you use on the deer and moose you list above?

If North Fork makes 250's check them out - I like them
Not Familiar w/ Hammers, because canna get dem up Here - but I'd sure check them out
Thankfully I had bought a number of boxes of Speers and don't shoot enuff to use them up ! 4 a long time !!

I had one when I thought I was moving to Alaska. I had planned to get back into the hunting biz so had a custom 700 rebarreled. The rifle weighed 7lbs bare and I used a muzzle brake from the start. Recoil wasn't bad. I used it to kill a few elk then sold it. I ran 250 grain bullets and they just plowed on through without shooting the animal all to heck. It was just way more rifle than needed.

I had one when I thought I was moving to Alaska. I had planned to get back into the hunting biz so had a custom 700 rebarreled. The rifle weighed 7lbs bare and I used a muzzle brake from the start. Recoil wasn't bad. I used it to kill a few elk then sold it. I ran 250 grain bullets and they just plowed on through without shooting the animal all to heck. It was just way more rifle than needed.
It's really more power than I need too, but so is some other rifles I have. It's just a cartridge that drawls me to it. What 250gr. bullets did you use?

I have a 358 STA that I picked up at a gun show about 15 years ago for $800 and it included dies and brass (formed from 375 H&H). It's a Winchester model 70 without the super lightweight and flimsy plastic stock and a 26" shilen barrel. (Basically somebody rebarreled a 7mm mag, or 300 or, etc)

my gun is on the light side but I love it. It is also the hardest recoiling rifle that I own but I don't exactly put hundreds of rounds through it at prairie dog towns either.

I shoot 225g Barnes TSX at 3000 FPS.
I have killed a moose and a buffalo and an oryx with it and I loaned it to a friend for an AK brown bear. The most impressive thing it did was on my buffalo (American bison). I hit it low and forward hitting the heart and breaking both shoulders. The bullet exited and the buff nose dived into the dirt.

very strong round and mine matches my TDS reticle for easy compensation to 600 yards

While I have never shot the 358 STA I have watched others shoot one from a bench on sand bags and man was that a powerful round.I was 10 feet away and felt it in my chest.
I have loved the 35 cal rifles for many years and only own a 358 win in a Browning BLR and it will thump deer out to 200 yards and maybe farther but it drops like a rock after 200 yards.
Hill Country Rifles many years ago made a 35 cal rifle in 35HCR.338 win mag case necked up to 35 and I have always wanted one but never got around to it.
Have fun with that thumper.
Old Rooster

I was shooting plain ol' Hornady Interlock. I didn't get carried away with load development after I changed Alaska plans. I had a client that was a gunsmith specializing in 1k yd bench rifles. I had him build me a rifle and when he came to hunt he had a round that was a 300 Winchester case shooting 35 cal bullets.

.....I was shooting plain ol' Hornady Interlock....,

Back in the late 80's the Hornady shot great fire forming at Whelen velocities. The wheels seemed to come off when pushed. A couple would go good, then one would head for parts unknown. Sounds like they've improved.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.