Entry level suppressor ready rifles?

I will need to buy a rifle for my younger son in the next year or so. What are the best options for an entry level rifle that is suppressor ready/threaded? My older son has a Ruger American Predator. We chose this for him because he shoots southpaw. We like it, but I just want to see what else is out there that people like. We also want to keep it somewhat light because he is young.

What are you using/liking? Thinking $800ish or cheaper is what I want to start with for him.
I do not know what the current prices are, but 6 years ago, I won a TCA Compass in 6.5 CM from a raffle for $20 (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/i-got-my-first-6-5-cm-for-20.201958/)

6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg
6.5 CM deer season XP 3-shot at 200 yards.jpg

3 shots at 200 yards with factory ammo Winchester deer season XP 125g extreme point lot# 44MC82.

I will need to buy a rifle for my younger son in the next year or so. What are the best options for an entry level rifle that is suppressor ready/threaded? My older son has a Ruger American Predator. We chose this for him because he shoots southpaw. We like it, but I just want to see what else is out there that people like. We also want to keep it somewhat light because he is young.

What are you using/liking? Thinking $800ish or cheaper is what I want to start with for him.
Well, I recently bought the Ruger American go live camo, you can get $100.00 off at Sheels right now. I don't think you can go wrong with that rifle choice, mine had a good fit and finish bought one in 7mm PRC and it shoots under 0.5 inches at 100 yards with the Federal ascent ammo. It has an adjustable trigger, but replaced mine with a Jard their is a Timney option. I went through a similar exercise with my daughter. She uses my Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor with some shims taken out, when we go hunting, I wind up carrying it some (still most) of the time due to weight with scope and bipod about 11.5 lbs.

You may want to look at the Weatherby Vanguard, the weatherguard bronze series is right at your price point with a lot of great caliber choices. They are about 7.2-7.5lbs.

An option I did not consider, is if you have an existing modern sporting rifle buying an upper, the adjustable stock can provide the fit for your youngster to grown into with the 6mm ARC and many other options now for calibers, I believe there is a .350 legend now as well.

I'd look at the CVA cascade.

The rugers usually shoot good but the actions are pretty rough on the ones I've been around.

CZ alphas are on a pretty good sale at euro optic

Howa has some threaded options and you can buy barreled actions from Brownells then get whatever stock you want.

I wanted a fast twist 223 recently so I got a tikka and got it cut down and threaded.

An option I did not consider, is if you have an existing modern sporting rifle buying an upper, the adjustable stock can provide the fit for your youngster to grown into with the 6mm ARC and many other options now for calibers, I believe there is a .350 legend now as wewell
My older son and I just built a MSR in 6mm ARC for his 2nd rifle. It is actually pretty cool IMO. I wouldn't let him shoot it at elk, but deer and under are fair game. It isn't bad to carry. We took it javelina hunting last weekend. With the can and bipod it was a little front heavy, but wasn't bad really and is a super soft shooter. A picture of him with it is below.

My younger so who this thread is for wants an AR10 in 308, but that isn't what I want for his first gun. Maybe 2nd. They are just too heavy for a 10yr old.

Attachments

• 20231014_093311.jpg
    20231014_093311.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 29
My older son and I just built a MSR in 6mm ARC for his 2nd rifle. It is actually pretty cool IMO. I wouldn't let him shoot it at elk, but deer and under are fair game. It isn't bad to carry. We took it javelina hunting last weekend. With the can and bipod it was a little front heavy, but wasn't bad really and is a super soft shooter. A picture of him with it is below.

My younger so who this thread is for wants an AR10 in 308, but that isn't what I want for his first gun. Maybe 2nd. They are just too heavy for a 10yr old.
Agree with you my other 6.5 Creedmoor is an AR10, and with scope and bipod is about 16 lbs I took this out once for hunting never again. I would look at the Weatherby though, I don't believe you will be disappointed with it, barrel is threaded, it is cerakoted. Before the 7 mm PRC came out that was what I was looking at the Weatherby in either 6.5 PRC or 6.5 x 300 Weatherby was deciding then the 7mm PRC came out. It comes in many non-Weatherby calibers for elk. Has a sub MOA guarantee. When I bought the Ruger about a month ago my wife said go buy a new birthday present, went to Sheels rifle the Ruger in 7mm PRC was on sale, a Vortex scope I was interested in was on sale, done.

The other deal I fell into was a Christiansen Arms Mesa 300 win mag a while back maybe about 1.5 years ago was looking for another 300 win mag went to a rancher store called Murdoch's had a sale on this rifle and with the rebate rifle was $750.00, that weighed 6.5 lbs. I'd encourage you to shop around and take your time take your son, unless it will be a surprise. When I bought my daughter a 20 gauge shotgun, for clays and hunting nothing beat the look on her face, (priceless when she opened the box) I have the longer stock for it now that she is older. Have fun nothing beats the memories you will create with your kids.

I have a Franchi Momentum in 6.5 Creedmoor (with a threaded barrel) that is relatively lightweight (6.6lbs), and an awesome well balanced rifle. I had at the range last Friday for a final check before rifle deer season and it shot very well (1/2 inch even with me pulling the trigger…) with Berger factory loaded 135gr Classic Hunters. I bought the Momentum for a 500 yards or less inexpensive deer rifle for use here in North Carolina. I added a break (just for….. and giggles), barrel deresonator (rubber deal made by limbsaver), and an Sig Sauer bdx scope. I actually bought the gun itself on Gun Broker for $440 + shipping/FFL. So really cheap - and ended up with a great inexpensive cold bore (barrel heats up fairly quickly) shooter with factory ammo! Something like this might be of interest to you. Glad to hear that you're raising your Sons to be hunters!!!!!!

We use a 22" Browning X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor for my boys that is threaded 5/8x24 for suppressed hunting and it's been great. But MSRP is over $1k.

But they may have some cheaper options.

Winchester makes a cheaper XPR threaded 5/8x24 but they seem to be 20" barrels now...I think some of the Brownings are 20" now too. Makes it nice and handy and totally fine for deer, but might be marginal for elk. Could be fine for cow elk inside of 200 yards.

I vote for the Browning xbolt. You can get a youth model and they have models that are suppressor ready.......I would also get your son's input....he may have something in mind.....guns have to look good to me.....if you know what I mean....good luck!

Recent Posts