entry and exit woonds

soundwaves

will try and keep this short and simple.
lm shooting 7mm rem mag 150 grain federal power-shock ammo. the stopping power seems great as nearly all the animals ( ibex ) drop dead on the spot. but when l go neer the animal l really have to search verry hard to try and find the entry and exit woonds. eaven when the bullet has exited through the shoulder brakeing all the bones in the shoulder in the proces. its easy to find the entry and exit after the animal is skinned. anyone care to explane why this is happening ? is this a good thing ? lm down to my last box of these 150 grain federals. after these finnish l will start useing the saim ammo but in 175 grain. l wonder if thay will do the saim thing ?. thanks in advance.

ps : shooting distance is anywhare between 250 meters to 400 meters )

I suppose it has a lot to do with what the bullet hits on either side. I know that a soft tissue hit and exit will probably leave less hole than a soft tissue hit and bone exit. I've had instances like what you're experiencing, and usually it's at a longer range and less impact energy. I killed a deer last week with a 168 AMAX out of my 3006 and at 200yds the bullet entry was marked by blood but a very small hole and the bullet didn't even exit. I was satisfied with the performance but it may have been a tough track had the deer not folded on the spot.

will try and keep this short and simple.
lm shooting 7mm rem mag 150 grain federal power-shock ammo. the stopping power seems great as nearly all the animals ( ibex ) drop dead on the spot. but when l go neer the animal l really have to search verry hard to try and find the entry and exit woonds. eaven when the bullet has exited through the shoulder brakeing all the bones in the shoulder in the proces. its easy to find the entry and exit after the animal is skinned. anyone care to explane why this is happening ? is this a good thing ? lm down to my last box of these 150 grain federals. after these finnish l will start useing the saim ammo but in 175 grain. l wonder if thay will do the saim thing ?. thanks in advance.

ps : shooting distance is anywhare between 250 meters to 400 meters )
You're shooting a bonded bullet made for deep penetration and skin stretches.

Entry wounds are commonly smaller than the caliber used.

Exit wounds are usually a lot easier to see because of expansion and blood.

My guess is you're putting it through the spine far enough forward to stop the heart instantly which greatly reduces blood loss. You don't bleed much or fast with 0/0 blood pressure.

Regarding the elasticity of animal hide, I remember seeing a shot from a 30-06 @ >100 yards push the hide out nearly 18" from the animal. The exit wound on the hide was about .75" in size. When we skinned it, the exit wound in the flesh was over 2" in diameter with the blood-shot meat being around 4-5".
As WildRose stated, you're shooting a bonded bullet. My guess is that you're having similar to what I've seen using the Accubonds - unless I hit them really close, my exits are rather smallish but the damage is done to a 'T' internally.

If you want to see HUGE exit holes get some Berger VLD hunting bullets. You can stick your fist through the hole in the hide. :D

Some critters have thicker skin and fat.
We had a situation with extreme overpopulation of whitetail combined with a drought. The deer that used to run 150lbs on average were around 100lbs. Their skin was incredibly thin and when we skinned them the skin would literally tear and was translucent.
5 yrs later after a huge die off and 3 yrs of rain and the deer are weighing 150 again and their skin is thick as heck and there is an 1" of fat on them.
The thin deer were literally exploding when hit by my Edge. Some yearling deer basically turned into prairie dogs when hit. I shot many facing or heading away and their insides would blow out the sides just like a 10lb animal with a 243.
Now its back to normal and APPARENT DAMAGE is much less. Once you open them up its a train wreck but from the outside damage appears much less.
Ibex are a high altitude cold weather kind of critter and I am ASSuming have a pretty thick hide and fat content to combat these conditions.
This may be your reason. The same rig on a southern whitetail might blow a softball or basketball sized hole out. I have even noticed here in the US a difference between southern TX deer and north Kansas deer. Northern Kansas deer are a lot larger bodied and thicker skin and fur.

Regarding the elasticity of animal hide, I remember seeing a shot from a 30-06 @ >100 yards push the hide out nearly 18" from the animal. The exit wound on the hide was about .75" in size. When we skinned it, the exit wound in the flesh was over 2" in diameter with the blood-shot meat being around 4-5".
As WildRose stated, you're shooting a bonded bullet. My guess is that you're having similar to what I've seen using the Accubonds - unless I hit them really close, my exits are rather smallish but the damage is done to a 'T' internally.
Amazing videos on the web showing offside skin blowout on deer. Looks like the side comes out a yard. Blew me away the first time I saw it.

I can't say a "hole" (get it) bunch on the subj. but this was my hog, shot at 76yards with a 180gr 300wm. nosler partition. DRT

I also shot a big bodied black bear in Alaska with a .375 H&H. through and through, and really tough to find entry/exit holes however this could have been due to shooting it at 12 yards.

(sorry for such large photos, not sure why they did that)

There are too many factors involved when determining entrance and exit size. Therefore, I would not be be concerned with this aspect of the shot or kill. To me, it is all about terminal performance...as in quick kill. I would much rather have a 'bang flop' than having to track an animal even though it had a large exit wound. I want all the destructive forces to occur internally rather than depart outside of the animal.

Just my opinion.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.