Emerging from lurker status...New to custom rifles, and getting into reloading

MTHunter15

I have been lurking here for a while and have been reading the wealth of information around. I just got my new 7PRC build last week, and had my suppressor (Banish Backcountry) show up at USPS the very same day. I will try to post photos later, but suffice to say I am STOKED about the build.

I am slowly acquiring reloading components, but am mostly curious if anyone has muzzle velocities on a 20" barrel with suppressor in 7PRC, whether factory ammo or handloads.

Thanks in advance, and also for being an informative community!

I can't help you on your specific question. The first custom build is very exciting and really hones your knowledge and passion for shooting IMO. Welcome from Tennessee.
This has definitely been true for me. My knowledge of all things shooting has at least quadrupled in depth since starting down this path. That has *almost* been worth the money spent already, without even shooting that rifle yet.

I have been lurking here for a while and have been reading the wealth of information around. I just got my new 7PRC build last week, and had my suppressor (Banish Backcountry) show up at USPS the very same day. I will try to post photos later, but suffice to say I am STOKED about the build.

I am slowly acquiring reloading components, but am mostly curious if anyone has muzzle velocities on a 20" barrel with suppressor in 7PRC, whether factory ammo or handloads.

Welcome to the forum.
I cannot specifically answer your question.
What I can offer is what my 22 inch barrel 7prc does, it has no suppressor, but does have a brake. Depending on the ammunition, which has all been factory, from 2,932 fps for Hornady 180 grain, to 3,044 fps with Federal 155 grain. Hopefully someone comes along soon who shoots a 20 inch suppressed.

Welcome to the forum.
I cannot specifically answer your question.
What I can offer is what my 22 inch barrel 7prc does, it has no suppressor, but does have a brake. Depending on the ammunition, which has all been factory, from 2,932 fps for Hornady 180 grain, to 3,044 fps with Federal 155 grain. Hopefully someone comes along soon who shoots a 20 inch suppressed.
Interesting...this is helpful. I know Hill Country Rifles have that YouTube video up, but that's only one gun, and one test case. I was guessing I would be a touch over 2800fps with the factory 175 ELDX, and your data has me hopeful for 2850+.

Last edited:
Interesting...this is helpful. I know Kill Country Rifles have that YouTube video up, but that's only one gun, and one test case. I was guessing I would be a touch over 2800fps with the factory 175 ELDX, and your data has me hopeful for 2850+.
Should add:

Mainly I'm hoping I can work up an LRX load that will keep me over 2000fps out to 600 yards at MT elk elevations.

Trying to score a used Labradar for a good price so I can tinker and verify for myself.

From Hodgdon's website...

168 LRX.png

Chop off 120 fps (30 fps/inch) from LRT/StaballHD/H1000/Magpro/Magnum and you're still around ≥ 2835 fps, which will just barely keep you above 2000 fps at 30°F, 29.9 inHg (sea level corrected), and 5000 ft elevation at 600 yds.

Have you seen the Badlands BDII lead free bullets?

Their quoted B.C.s are significantly inflated based on my testing, but the real B.C. is still outstanding for the weight class, and would likely gain you a good bit of distance over the 168 LRX.

150 E-tip is known to be on the "slow side", so the load data should be conservative for the BDII since the BDII has a "waistline" for reduced barrel friction.
150 E-tip.png

That puts you at ≥ 3000 fps with the 150 BDII in your 20" bbl. With 85% of quoted B.C. (0.265 G7), that bullet has the same energy, but an extra 100 fps over the Barnes at 600 yds.

Just food for thought. No matter how you slice it, you're new build should be a real thumper for your intended use.👍

Last edited:

Congrats on new rig! The velocities are very useful for load development and to learn your loads ballistics. If wondering about performance with shorter barrel, you may want to start off a baseline with a box of factory ammo. While at the range you might meet a kind fellow who will chrono your rifle if you don't have access to chrono. 7PRC seems like a great cartridge choice for Montana!