Getting a new rifle

The creedmoor load is the 143 grain eld-x at 2725fps and the 308 is the Hornady 168bthp at 2825fps Soon as I burn up the last of my 500 count box of 168 bthp I'm gonna work up a load with 178 eldx and see if I can beat the creedmoor in wind drift. Both guns weigh about the same. The creed has a break, 308 doesn't so recoil is more but totally tolerable. I'd take the 308 over the creed for elk or bear , bigger heavier bullet with more energy vs big bones and muscle for me. Neither is a 1000 yard deer rifle, neither is a 700 yard elk rifle! Both are fine 5-600 yard deer rifles. One has been taking care of soldiers , hunters and target shooters since 1952, one since 2007! There's my take on both cartridges

Your 6.5 load is about 100FPS slower than normal, and your 308 load is about 100fps faster than normal. The Creedmoor still wins in drop and drift. I've loaded for a few .308s and the best nodes I found were around 2700-2750 with 168s. I've loaded for just one Creedmoor and the 2850 node with a 140 has no pressure signs and is what a lot of guys are shooting them at. I would run the 143 at 2800 and the 308 at 2750 and look at the difference then.

I didn't run them with a calculator. I actually shot both of my guns at each yardage and recorded the adjustments needed. Both guns are sub moa with the loads I'm shooting. Both loads are book max. It was kind of fun to actually shoot each gun side by side and compare them. My brother is a new shooter and just bought a 6.5 creedmoor and has been telling me how he read that it kicked the 308's butt all across the board! I think any good shooter can accomplish the exact same thing with either cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.