Need a new rifle

pat86004

Due to some unforseen circumstances (burglary) i am regrettably forced to get a new hunting rifle. I had a remington 700 in 7mm rm that i really loved. Im going to get another 7mag and am torn between 3 rifles. Id like to get a factory rifle and then do a little upgrading to the rifle but money is of course an issue. Ill be putting a vortex viper on top when money allows.

First im considering another 700, im looking at an sps. If I went this route id want to put it in an aftermarket stock, likely a b&c and put a new trigger in it to try to get the pull to about 2lb.

Second i was looking at a howa 1500, ive never owned one of these rifles but have shot a couple. The ones i have shot were very accurate and seem very nice. I have a couple concerns with them though. They seem a bit heavy from the factory, and i doubt an aftermarket stock will help things much. The barrel length on the factory rifles seems a bit short at 22" is this a viable long range rifle? I dont see myself shooting much past 500 at an animal, but enjoy shooting at steel much further.

Third is a savage 110. I never thought id be interested in one of these until i bought a model 11 in 223 to replace my stolen varmint rifle. Im very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle, and am more then a little tempted to get one in 7mag and drop it in a new stock, toss a scope on it and call it a day. The only thing holding me back is that it just doesnt "feel" as nice as a remington or howa. I imagine that a new stock will fill that void, but im unsure.

Id like to keep the rifle at or around 7-800$ then put some money into optics. Any feedback would be awesome, along with other suggestions.

Hi Pat,
I am so sorry to hear about the theft. I'm sure you have a lifetime of shots, freezer meat and some trophies that have been violated through this tragic situation. Theft has become more of a concern to me in recent years. I do have a safe but then - if a thief wants it - he's gonna get it or destroy your home trying. You have listed a couple of nice rifle choices. I have a couple of Savage rifles, a Wetherby Vanguard, Remington mod 700 bolt & model 6 pump, a S&W with a Howa 1500 receiver, DPMS, Colt, Marlin, Winchester, Ruger, even an old 8mm Mauser, just to name a few. I would gladly put my Savage's up against any other rifle I have, Period, The End. They may not be as pretty, but then when you scratch one it doesn't hurt as bad - LOL. Fact is, I don't keep a bad shooting rifle. Its a tool and if it doesn't work correctly, meaning hitting accurately with premium factory & accurized reloaded ammo. I don't know if you bench shoot but I have a Savage model 12 VLP DBM with 26" fluted SSBB in .308 Win and the bolt is silky smooth and a real tack driver. With my reloads it will knock out the CENTERS of clay pigeons all day long at 300 yards. A solid 10+ lbs and a bit heavy for hunting if you plan on carrying & holding the rifle all day (been there - sore arm the next day - LOL) but as accurate as they come. I have a friend with the Savage Axis in .308 Win also. It's hard to beat. Very accurate and the bolt is as smooth as butter too!
The most honest thing I can and will say is go to the range - have ammo in hand and ask to shoot as many different brands and styles of rifles as you can. Find that or those that really feel good to you and remember, a rifle is a tool. Its only as good as the time, tweaks & maintenance you put into it. You will find the major challenge will be money and the variety of rifle brands and calibers you have to choose from. Today most firearm manufactures have very good and tight tolerances so the real issue is (What brand and caliber) are you comfortable with. Good Luck and I hope you find your missing firearms. The thieves are likely someone that knows someone you know, or a friend of a friend. Loose lips - sink ships. Usually, someone you know, knows who got your guns. Aim small - miss small, open sights are best with pointed front blades.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Sorry to hear about the misfortune, I hope you recover it and little justice helps. gun)

Nice choices to choose from and can't go wrong with them. Savage is indeed hard to beat and seems like it meets your current requirement. My friend purchased a 110 in .300 Win Mag (accutrigger) for $549 at Big R 2 years ago and it came with a 3-9x40 Nikon (don't remember the model) and it was hunt/shoot ready off the box with less than 1 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo.

Savage is also hard to beat in the DIY category. After market support goes to Remington 700 but Savage is also gaining grounds.

Savage will afford you the opportunity to hunt/shoot at "as-is" now until funding allows any upgrade. It boils down to personal reference.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting!

Ed

ADDED: My bad, it's the 111 trophy hunter XP model with Nikon scope that has the BDC reticle.

P.S. Check out the Tikkas too!

Id say the savage would serve you well. Im not a Remington fan due to some bad experiences. I have yet to see a savage that wont shoot sub moa. Very accurate rifles for the money

another hiccup im having with savage is the lack of a floorplate, the detachable mag that came on this 223 is ok, but it is something i would change if i could. All the savages im seeing have either the detachable mag or a blind magazine, is this something that can be easily and inexpensively changed?

Remington 700...my first was and is...a 7 mag....just finished another post, had now going on 49 years, great experiences, so now I own 5 more from 7-08 to 8mag. As was noted, Savage is getting a lot of press, but I can't speak to that. Due to popularity, a used 700 might be readily available....saw a ss 700 in 7 mag, syn stock, cherry, for $ 499.99, and some dickering would have gotten it for less.

I looked long and hard!!!:cool: already have two in 7 mag, one and ADL made in early '62, and a BDL made in, '65. Could have been the juice for a nice 7 mm - 300! win mag, I guess!:)

I looked long and hard!!!:cool: already have two in 7 mag, one an ADL made in early '62, and a BDL made in, '65. Could have been the juice for a nice 7 mm - 300! win mag, I guess!:)

Sorry about the loss.

The recent 700SPS I've seen left some to be desired in the finish department. They metal isn't a deep bluing, but a paint of sorts it seems. Some say the XM Pro trigger is pretty good and you may not need to replace it. I've not shot the newest ones with that tritter.

Howa1500- First, in the caliber you want it comes in a 24" barrel. The finish on them is a nice (bluing). The triggers are really fairly good IMO, and I'd not replace it if it was up to me. There are getting to be more stock, etc, for this gun all the time. Weight...since when did a little extra weight hurt the 7RM? Also, there's nothing wrong with going for the 1500's twin, the Vanguard, and the Vanguards stocks are decent. My Howa has been a real shooter, BTW.

Savage: Some seem fairly nice some the finish is basic. Getting a nice bluing, etc., is going to cost you. Almost all I've heard of are quite accurate regardless of the quality of finish you pay for.

None are are a bad choice...your on the right track.

Pat- sorry for your loss. we must live close. snowy today. i can't tell what you are shooting at. for a sporter weight hunting rifle i would consider the special ones they have at sportsmans 700 adl stainless with a scope and mounts. inexpensive. other i would consider the vanguard and the tikka . they are probably more .

sorry to hear the bad news. I know a few guys with savages and howas, and personally for the performance, and useability found the savage far better. I got a savage hmr17 for my fiencee, and since shooting it have fallen in love with it, she now shoots my 7600 .308 and I have the savage. Iv never shot a 7rm but would assume a savage in that calibre would be just as sweet.

Happy shooting.

Roo

Thieves suck, that's about the nicest thing I can say about them.

One thing you might consider since you like the remingtons is to hold off a bit and save a few more bucks and pick up a 700 CDL or CDL SF. They are awfully nice, come with a great factory stock and you can just do a trigger job on the Xmark and have a nice trigger without spending more than about 80 bucks if you hire a gunsmith to do it, or a few hours time and some lapping compound will produce a very clean crisp trigger yourself.

Just remember if you adjust it, you void the factory liability guarantee but most of us don't care too much about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.