Elk Mount

Evening All,

I have an ELK Mount that has been hanging in our local Sportsman's Warehouse for the past few years, and I don't have wall space for it anymore as I have better animals up now. Anyway, question is whether there is an outlet to sell a mount? There isn't a local market and I don't have a clue where to start with a listing.
Have any of you ever sold anything like this?

Thanks for any ideas….
You may sell it to an Elks lodge. BPOE, Ask the National in Chicago to send an email to lodge secretaries.

Evening All,

I have an ELK Mount that has been hanging in our local Sportsman's Warehouse for the past few years, and I don't have wall space for it anymore as I have better animals up now. Anyway, question is whether there is an outlet to sell a mount? There isn't a local market and I don't have a clue where to start with a listing.
Have any of you ever sold anything like this?

Thanks for any ideas….
Do you have a Craigslist where you live? I would think so!!!!

Put it in Craig's list or Facebook marketplace. There's an auction place in eastern Iowa that sells taxidermy every year
I agree, when I got my divorce and had to "down-size" I advertised most of my mounts on Craig's list and sold the whole bunch to one guy starting a restaurant and wanted decorate it with mounts.

Our local GL sells stuff like that tourist buy.There was a cape buffalo on there a while back $800,taking a hit on that one,big time.

Out here in the Rocky Mountain region there's an outfit that comes thru each spring. They buy hides, sheds, mounts, etc... They run ads in the local fish-wrappers starting a couple weeks before they swing thru. I'd think a collector or retail venue would pay more tho.

Make sure it is legal to sell in your state. I have heard wardens watch Craigslist.
Good point I'll check on that, hadn't considered that yet! Thanks

Edit.. I called a state game warden friend …. Short answer is once its in the form of a mount, Its just property and can be done with as you please. Just can't sell meat.

Last edited:
I hear in some states you need a permit from your State F & W might want to check before listing...( or maybe it's just a Canadain watching LONE STAR LAW too much) . Either way better to be safe than sorry