Elk Mount

A local lodge offered to full mount and put a up a large mountain lion I shot when I was younger.Would have had a plaque listing SP as hunter

Evening All,

I have an ELK Mount that has been hanging in our local Sportsman's Warehouse for the past few years, and I don't have wall space for it anymore as I have better animals up now. Anyway, question is whether there is an outlet to sell a mount? There isn't a local market and I don't have a clue where to start with a listing.
Have any of you ever sold anything like this?

Thanks for any ideas….
Bass Pro
Cabella's
Do a search on the internet. There are Decorators always looking for "Animal Mounts" for their customers.
Years ago I Bought some mounts that were leftover at Taxidermy shops and sold them on Ebay and Craigslist to people that built log Cabins, Country homes and wanted Bob Cats, Deer/Elk/African mounts and furs. Also sold Coyote fur that I shot and tanned.

Evening All,

I have an ELK Mount that has been hanging in our local Sportsman's Warehouse for the past few years, and I don't have wall space for it anymore as I have better animals up now. Anyway, question is whether there is an outlet to sell a mount? There isn't a local market and I don't have a clue where to start with a listing.
Have any of you ever sold anything like this?

Thanks for any ideas….
You can sell it on eBay, just remember you'll have to make a crate to ship it in
You can use plywood ,probably add a couple hundred for shipping.

I was at a estate sale last summer and there were 10 mounts. The only one that went near $500 was a real nice full curl sheep. The 6x6 Elk went for $250 and other deer and goats for less, I bought a pair of nice Antelop for $100. There is no way around here in Montana that you will ever get the $$$ back you put into it. Better to save it for the kids. Also forget Face Book not in their standards, you may try Me We"

I was at a estate sale last summer and there were 10 mounts. The only one that went near $500 was a real nice full curl sheep. The 6x6 Elk went for $250 and other deer and goats for less, I bought a pair of nice Antelop for $100. There is no way around here in Montana that you will ever get the $$$ back you put into it. Better to save it for the kids. Also forget Face Book not in their standards, you may try Me We"
Yeah I wouldn't give it away, but im not looking to make a killing either. I think with all of the information that i have received on the thread that I can find it a home at a fair price.

Don't mean to start off a reply with a negative note, but in our rural areas, the dead beats break in to cabins to steal mounts. The market is to taverns for interior decoration. So perhaps adds in Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace may find a legitimate buyer?

There's a place in Gunnison, Co called Traders Rendezvous I believe (cant remember exactly I always called it "the horn store")

They will almost certainly buy it. That's all they do is buy, sell, trade sheds, hides, furs, mounts you name it.

Good morning all,

Depending on where you live I'd take a look into the decorators idea, plus maybe some commercial realtors who might have clients buying office spaces etc...

I'm not far from Y/C (Yellowstone Club) and IME there are a few members in a place like that might could want a mount or two.

Side note, and this isn't a judgement but I'm just wondering out loud if we don't have a place to hang the trophies why are we taking them in lieu of a cow for meat...?

Just a thought