Elk Mount

Huntsman66

Evening All,

I have an ELK Mount that has been hanging in our local Sportsman's Warehouse for the past few years, and I don't have wall space for it anymore as I have better animals up now. Anyway, question is whether there is an outlet to sell a mount? There isn't a local market and I don't have a clue where to start with a listing.
Have any of you ever sold anything like this?

Thanks for any ideas….

I've heard tell that there actually are places that buy them. Prices I have heard discussed seemed to be in the range of basically breaking even on what it probably cost to get the taxidermy work done to begin with, but some true monster/specimen type mounts go for good money.

As much as I have heard this discussed in local circles, I've honestly never needed or thought about looking into it further so I can't give any specifics or company leads.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, bro!

I've heard tell that there actually are places that buy them. Prices I have heard discussed seemed to be in the range of basically breaking even on what it probably cost to get the taxidermy work done to begin with, but some true monster/specimen type mounts go for good money.

As much as I have heard this discussed in local circles, I've honestly never needed or thought about looking into it further so I can't give any specifics or company leads.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, bro!
Yeah this isn't a monster, its a 6x6 bull and I think he taped out at about 285", I just don't have room for him on the wall (or so my wife tells me 🤣) and he's been hanging at Sportsman's for a while, and I was thinking it would be better to just move it out than keep track of him over there. Plus it would go a ways on that new build im gonna be doing…lol

Heck
Offer to sell it with a cover story and charge a lil extra for your silence. Surprised Gunbroker doesn't have a spot for these. 😎

I too like the idea of donating it
When I was referencing the sales of these mounts, I've heard more than once where the "manbun" or city crowd will hang them on their walls with the expectation that anyone seeing them simply assumes that the displayer had taken the animal. I'm sure that they are not too quick to correct folks, either...

I sold a 6x6 330 class elk shoulder mount for $2,500. I was approached by a decorator who said she needed a big trophy for someone's office. I am pretty sure she didn't even know it was an elk. The guy below was at the taxidermist's and almost done so it was a no brainer.

ELK.jpg

Very nice!.. yeah this bull isn't that big. He was the first nice bull I killed years ago so I did the mount, since then I have killed much bigger stuff and replaced him and I don't have room for all of them. I didnt think guys on here would be interested in it, but thought maybe they could point me in a direction like you found yourself in.

I sold a 6x6 330 class elk shoulder mount for $2,500. I was approached by a decorator who said she needed a big trophy for someone's office. I am pretty sure she didn't even know it was an elk. The guy below was at the taxidermist's and almost done so it was a no brainer.

View attachment 346621
Nice waterbuck and elk. Can't get a good look at that gemsbok.