electronic scales help

redds

I have a question for everyone out there on the scales that everyone is using. I had a RCBS Range master 750 that went bad. Since then I have went through 2 RCBS Range master 2000 scales. first one would go into calibration mode for no reason 2nd on is inconsistent. Example: if i weigh out 90 gains then take the pan off and put it back on it will range between 89.9 to 90.2 grains.I leave the scale turned on 24/7 and do not have anything blowing on them. RCBS tech told me you have to add or remove weight then remove the pan and replace it on the load cell so the scale is more accurate. I have no faith in this method its very inconsistent and it takes forever. Any suggestions on scales electronic or balance beams. I have read some of the other posts and all i want is person experiences and recommendations if im being to critical on 90.0 to 90.2 please me know. Im not a bench rest shooter just like to shoot out to 1000 and hunt. it seems like some subjects hits nerves with some and the bashing begins.

Last edited:
Redds, the beam scale lovers and the electronic lovers are quite passionately divided in this issue. From what I've read, you'll need to spend a lot more for a consistent electronic. I have a RCBS Chargemaster I use for mass production of .223. I use the RCBS 10-10 beam for consistent loads of my bolt rifles.
Let the flames begin!

thanks Dosh
i would agree on beam vs electronic. thanks for the input one for the beam

Theres a whole recent thread on this subject below but with some confusion by a few on how decimals can relate to accuracy so I gave up!. Anyhow my 2 cents: I load to the exact .1 grain real fast starting out of a hopper and then finish tricklin with a 200 dollar gem scale. The gem scale will measure every little dribble of weight you add right away because that is in its design for measuring gold powder.

I also have a basic but accurate to .1grain balance beam too but now I use it mainly to 'prove' the gem scale functionality to visiting reloading friends!

I could reload to the .05 of a grain just as easily and quickly but no need.

With a professional grade digi diamond/gem scale they either work or they dont at their rated accuracy. They dont give false readings that are just a hair off without giving you a warning sign. Also every time you make a weigh and then take the pan off you see the tare weight go to the negative value of the exact weight of the pan in 1/2 a sec which a beam scale cant do. Thats the best freebie check every time you weigh another load.

breathing closely on one or talking on cell phone next to it will make it fluctuate and you will notice it right away. they arent that sensitive to air movement due to tiny pan and weigh pad and i never use the plastic lid.

I think a hi end dampened beam scale would work just as well and never have an electonic 'end life' but probably wouldnt be as fast to register when trickling in the final grains or when twice weighing the same charge to double check. i loathe the powder weighing process so the faster I can get it done accurately the better. If I liked weighing then I would prob get a good beam scale.

The bonus with the portable gem scale is its small and low so easy to position for production and trickling plus it fires up right away. No warm up period. Plus you dont have to be looking at it at scale level to read it accurately. Mine runs off batteries so I can put it anywhere without interfering cords.

I have mine set to shut off and need recalibrating every 5 min. This takes no more than 20 seconds to complete and be weighing again.

The gem scale isnt an accepted reloading tool but a scale is a scale. You can weigh powder or gold or diamonds with a pro grade scale. I used to weigh emeralds with my little one at at grain equiv cost in carats of around 150 bucks per 1/10 of a grain! All of us in the biz used scales that wouldnt cost us a big hit by a mis-weigh when buying or selling. Just happened to work out that the 200 dollar portable gem grade scales were all you needed to ensure consistent accuracy. So why not use one for powder? You have to weigh your load to a set weight so why not weigh it to a precise set weight instead of one that will vary by a 10th if using reloading branded chinese digi scales or combos? it becomes more critical for accuracy esp when doing loads for small cartridges like 223 and down. Prob wouldnt be as critical on a large capacity 30+ cal unless you are a serious shooter.

I wound up with a $150 decent reloading branded standalone digi scale and yes it will weigh exacly to the 10th if you plonk a weight on it (after it has warned up ??)...but if you trickle in mini grains of powder it will be off by at least a .1 half the time depending on how fast or slow you trickle. thats just the nature of a lower end digi scale.

To be honest I was using my balance beam for precision loading for quite a while before it dawned on me one day on to dig my 9 yr old gem scale out of a box in the closet! its a mind set you get into. Sort of like after hundreds of mornings heading into the the woods for work or hunt why didnt I ever think of making a trailer hitch toilet seat instead of sitting on a rain soaked mossy log!... hah.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500, not the dispenser, just the scale.
I have had zero issues with this scale, it is actually more accurate than my balance beam and I have checked it against a gem scale and it is spot on

I have to add, I shoot to 1000yrds, worrying about .2gr is futile with the slow powders in big cases we use.
I load by volume, not weight, as weight changes with atmospheric conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
gun)

"I load by volume, not weight, as weight changes with atmospheric conditions."

Its late night and maybe I am not understanding this??

Go over to the nearest window, open it, through the electronic scale outside, close window...get your old 5-0-5 el cheappo deluxe back out and live happily ever after!

I have an A&D FX120i scale . after using this scale I would not want to use a balance scale or lesser quality electronic scale again . if you look up the last thread , that turned into a ******* match , you'll find a few links I posted up that will show the differences in strain gauge and magnetic force electronic scales . I still don't know how guys are weighing brass case water capacity on a balance scale ? I don't have to lift my pan when I'm trickling . when I plug in my scale my pan always weighs the exact same amount . my check weight always weighs the exact same amount . it's a no fuss scale . I use a lee powder spoon to get the bulk of my powder on the scale , then I just trickle up to my desired weight . it's fast, easy , and accurate .

something I've learned on these forums are most guys think you don't need anything different than they use . when you want something different , that's when the pecker measuring starts . so get ready to whip it out someone will be along quickly to measure you up . Shaking My Head

I have an A&D FX120i scale . after using this scale I would not want to use a balance scale or lesser quality electronic scale again . if you look up the last thread , that turned into a ******* match , you'll find a few links I posted up that will show the differences in strain gauge and magnetic force electronic scales . I still don't know how guys are weighing brass case water capacity on a balance scale ? I don't have to lift my pan when I'm trickling . when I plug in my scale my pan always weighs the exact same amount . my check weight always weighs the exact same amount . it's a no fuss scale . I use a lee powder spoon to get the bulk of my powder on the scale , then I just trickle up to my desired weight . it's fast, easy , and accurate .

something I've learned on these forums are most guys think you don't need anything different than they use . when you want something different , that's when the pecker measuring starts . so get ready to whip it out someone will be along quickly to measure you up . Shaking My Head

finally...an ally to my posted logic. last para says it all. Pun intended?!

it also dawned on me after a while to use a dipper instead of a hopper! fast easy and no dismantling and cleanup.

I also got out of the mindset of using h20 to measure case volume when I actually listened to someones advice and now use ball powder to speed things up. duh why didnt I think of that back when I was exclusively using a beam scale. hah again.

I still have my first 5-0-5 from the 70's with a Hank Jr hat pin glued on it. Still works as good as day one. Something to be said about a beam scale!

Tomorrow I have a JD quick measure arriving with an adapter for my 550b to hopefully be able to speed load very accurate varmint rounds. Hope it works as expected.

The quest for faster precision loading changed for me when I got my first super accurate AR-15 for varminting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.