Electronic Predator Call for beginners

RW2013

Hello, I'm new to predator hunting and would like to get my feet wet to see if I enjoy it before spending too much money.

Can you guys provide me with some recommendations for a predator caller in the 100 dollar range?

I'll be hunting in northern California. Any tip or gear recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
RW

Might take a look at building one yourself...
I thought about a DIY approach and actually have a horn speaker and Bluetooth receiver. I could just throw everything in an ammo can but the range is limited on a Bluetooth connection.

I see that some of these calls can be operated from 100 to 200 yards. How important is your distance away from the speaker?

I don't believe that you have to be at any distance from the sound if you take care and make your stand in a good location. A fawn, rabbit or other animal is right where they are making the sound if you are using hand calls so are you. Think about how you make your approach to your stand, think about setting up with yourself being where you aren't standing out like a flag, in some shade by a large rock, or bush where you can see out as clearly as you can but not be seen easily. think about you setting in your livening room in front of your picture window with the lights on or off, sitting right by the window or back in the room at a little distance. Think about how you are getting to where you will be setting up to call are you going to walk out in the open or walk along the edge of the brush or maybe just inside of it. Do you want to walk over the highest point to get over the top of a ridge or go through a low place. You don't want to call from the highest point you want to be below the skyline, so you don't stand out. For me it's more about getting to and getting set up to do my calling then where I place my call from me, and I also try not to play my call louder than the real animal would till after I have been calling at that location for around 15 - 20 minutes then I might want to turn it up for a few seconds and then back down. I'm trying my best to duplicate and actual animals sound not what I think they may or may not sound like. I don't hear the same frequencies, nor do I hear as well as they do so I try my best to sound like what they are used to actually hearing. But that's just me and how I think.