Ejection pattern

alaska

On my RUM I just had a M16 extractor magnum installed and it changed my injection pattern of the empty case upward hitting the scope and then out.

What can I do cure this?

It's hitting the wind. Turret? There might be marks on the turret showing exactly where it hits. Is scope mounted in a rail? If so, move the rings forward or back and adjust the scope in the rings to compensate.

You are one of the lucky ones. Sometimes they hit the scope and fall back into the action.

This sort of problem can be fixed by knocking off the corner of the extractor claw. Just a slight 45 degree cut on the corner of the claw does the trick.

Location of the extractor is the problem. If an extractor is installed to high on the bolt the case will strike the scope when it ejects. the more the extractor is to opposite the ejector the more controllable the and horizontal the ejection process.

Not much you can do except replace the bolt or place some moleskin tape on the turret cover to soften the strike.

J E CUSTOM

According to what reticle your scope has. If it is a standard duplex type or straight cross hair you can do it the Shade Tree Mechanic way. I have seen old pump or semi rifles set up this way to keep the case from falling back in the action. Turn the scope 90 degrees counter clock wise. This gets the windage turrent out of the ejection path of the case. But now the elevation turrent is the windage adjustment, and the windage turrent is the elevation adjustment. Be sure to take a good bottle of your favorite spirits with you on site in day to settle your nerves. OR

Replace the bolt is about the real solution.

Is the new extractor right at the top edge of the right bolt lug straight across from the ejector pen?

I cannot rotate or move the scope

Yes the extractor is as close to the top of the lug as u can get

Thanks for the suggestions

If you ease the top corner and put a lighter ejector spring in it will flatten the ejection and you'll clear your turret or not smoke it as hard.

Here's a picture of the modification Stiller does to their M16 extractor to get rid of that problem. Basically the corner of the extractor claw is cut at a 45 degree angle just a little.

Attachments

• StillerBoltFace.jpg
    StillerBoltFace.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.