Edge accuracy problems.

Main question would be, was the Rem 700 trued and accurized before the barrel was installed?

With a quality barrel and a quality chamber job, its not difficult at all to get 1 moa accuracy out of the Edge with pretty much any load. Its just an easy to load chambering.

4" groups at 100 yards tells me to look at a mechanical problem. That is a pretty heavy barrel for a Rem 700 but with solid bedding it should be alright.

It makes me think of a few areas.

1. There are some screws loose somewhere on the rifle, receiver screw, base screws, ring screws, something.

2. Something is slipping, rings, scope, base.....

3. The bolt lugs are not supported. If you have one floating lug which is not totally uncommon with an untrued Rem 700 receiver, the rifle may shoot well with lower pressure loads but as the pressure increases and gets to the point the bolt flexes under the pressure, you generally start to see vertical stringing. The larger the case head, the more dramatic it can be.

That said, 4" at 100 yards is still a HELL OF ALOT of group variation.

Make sure the crown is cut true and clean. Also, as mentioned, check the brake to make sure there is plenty of clearance. There should be 20 thou clearance so the bore hole should be at least 0.358"

Brass and bullet run outs will likely not take a 4" group at 100 yards down to 1/2" at 100 yards. As they improve they will definately improve your groups but generally not to that extend.

I would also pull the barreled receiver out and make sure there is nothing between the receiver and the bedding surface which can cause problems.

Other places to look, make sure the bolt nose recess in the barrel is not contacting the bolt nose and make sure there is nothing being mashed between the two when the bolt closes, this can cause some serious accuracy issues.

Make sure the front scope base screw is not contacting the barrel threads and bottoms out on the base, not the barrel. This can cause some serious issues as well.

One more place to look, make sure the bolt handle is not touching the stock at all when its closed. I have seen this several times when the bolt hits the stock when the bolt is closed and it causes all kinds of problems in consistancy.

I would also not recommend seating to touch the lands to start with. This preloads the bolt and if the receiver has not been trued, it can cause consistancy problems as well. THe SMK generally shoots very well 10-15 thou off the lands anyway.

Just things to check.

I just got my new rifle back from the gunsmith. Its a Remington 700 chambered for 338 Edge with a 32" 1 in 10 twist McGowan barrel, Defensive Edge brake, adjusted factory trigger, Leupold Long Range Scope with a 40 MOA Nightforce rail, Warne scope rings. It has a Bell and Carlson Varminter stock that the entire length of the action has been bed, other than the magazine hole, with Brownells Steel Bed. The barrel has not been bed, just free floated. The barrel has a 1.25" shank thats 5" long to a straight taper to .810". I've only tried one load so far but the accuracy seems way off. The load I'm using is the one favored by Shawn Carlock. I believe its 94 gr. H1000 on a CCI 250 primer pushing a Sierra 300 SMK. The rifle will not shoot under 4" at 100 yards and it seems, for the most part that I'm getting horizontal stringing of the shots. I'm pretty much set on the 300 SMK's, but I'm open to any other load suggestions and gun mods. I'm pulling my hair out here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I place my self in your boots and I'm just getting sick!!!

Why don't you just send it back to your smith???

Thanks a ton, Mr Allen!!!!!! Thats what I was looking for. I might just take the brake off all together and see how it shoots. I was thinking that same thing.....problem with the brake. The action was trued before the barrel was installed. My smith has done a few guns for me before as well as guns for close friends and I've never had a problem before. He blueprints the actions and installs the barrels and makes the brakes and I do the stock work and assembly.

Well, here it is guys. Switched to 92 gr. H1000 and once fired brass. Ran out of CCI 250 and cant find any so loaded Federal Magnum Match primers. Checked the brake with no clearance problems. Seperated action and stock again to inspect my bedding job more closely and found some bedding material making contact with the barrel about 3" from the action at about the 4:00 position. So I went and bedded the barrel 5", the whole depth of the stock. Removed the scope and base again and couldn't really find anything other than the front base screw may have been making slight contact with the barrel threads, so I filed some of the bottom of the screw. Shot the rifle today and I'm pleased to report 1/2" groups at 100 yards and velocitys of 2880, 2878, 2875 and 2882!!!! I cant thank you guys enough. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter981 your are to be commended for having the courtesy to report back to us and share the learning curve. Seems today so many are only nice until they get what they want and then you never hear from them again. It is a pleasure watching you gentelmen interact with one another.

CRaTxn,

I think you will find that LRH is not like most gun sites around. We certainly have our heated discussions and an occasional ****in match but all in all, the members around here are pretty high quailty folks.

I'm going to go ahead and say that the whole problem was probably the gob of bedding material pressing on the side of tha barrel 4" in front of the action. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again for all the help, guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts