Easy at home zero stop for Sightron S-Tac and SIII, and not the pvc ring

codyadams

I see lots of people make the little plastic rings and stuff like that to act as a stop under the turret cap, but this is way easier and infinitely adjustable.

All you do is drill and tap the turret top cap and put in a set screw. Get a #6-32 tap, #36 drill (.1065") and a 1/2" long 6-32 set screw, all available at your local ace hardware.

20220430_182806.jpg

Drill your hole right against the inside of the cap so it engages the brass sleeve on the turret body, then tap it.
20220430_183326.jpg

Make sure to use cutting fluid and all the other common sense things that go along with tapping, but it is aluminum, so pretty easy.
20220430_183525.jpg
20220430_183606.jpg

Reinstall your turret to zero WITHOUT the set screw in it, and tighten it in place. Adjust the turret 1 MOA down, and gently tighten down your zero stop set screw. Note how much sticks above the turret, and trim about that much off using a dremel cut off wheel, sanding disk or whatever you have available.
20220430_183903.jpg

After trimming, check for fit, adjust as needed. Once it sets flush or just proud, this is your finished product. Once your all set, add some blue lock tight to your zero stop screw and let it dry. Your non zero stop sightron is now a zero stop. Counting the purchase of a tap, drill bit, and screws, I am about $13 into it, but I did 2 scopes, so $6.50 each, and took about 10 minutes to do.
20220430_172623.jpg

Video of how it works -

Last edited:
Cody,

there is a lot of talk on the gun and hunting forums, but not all that much substantial instruction.

Your instructional thread shines above the talk with an ingenious method to get some of our scopes up to par — with a zero stop becoming something we now expect from our scopes....

And the cost of time and materials for this method is excrushingly low.... 😉

THANKS!! 👍🏼😄

Matthias

PS: May I pass this info onto others in the forums I frequent, citing you as the author (with a link)?

Cody,

there is a lot of talk on the gun and hunting forums, but not all that much substantial instruction.

Your instructional thread shines above the talk with an ingenious method to get some of our scopes up to par — with a zero stop becoming something we now expect from our scopes....

And the cost of time and materials for this method is excrushingly low.... 😉

THANKS!! 👍🏼😄

Matthias

PS: May I pass this info onto others in the forums I frequent, citing you as the author (with a link)?
Absolutely, I put the information out to be used!

Great idea Cody!
So to understand your thoughts, you are trimming the set screw from underneath the turret cap? I still see the screwdriver slot on top.

Yes, I'm removing the screw and shortening it so it's not sticking way up above the turret, and the screw on cap can be installed. I started with a 1/2" set screw, and took off maybe 1/8" to get it to set flush with the top of the turret when it is screwed down against the brass turret body ring. This is better than the pvc ring method, because if you change loads, move it to a different rifle or whatever, you can just adjust the screw and still have a zero stop, you don't need to sand down a pvc ring or make another one. Worst case if you need another longer screw, they are $0.50 each ha ha.

Cody,
now you have me wondering if your engineering skills and creativity also have some DIY solution for those turrets that don't move up/down (locking turrets)....

Because I have this otherwise great scope (3-12x44) that is usually on pigeon duty.
Most shots are around 60y, so I get away with 3-4 mil elevation. But there is one spot that is around 80y. And that requires me to dial a full revolution = 6 mil.

And it has happened not once, not twice, but three times(!) already that I have not dialed the elevation back to zero.
And then kept wondering why my shots didn't kill them rotten sky rats..... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Last week I did it again. 😖

So, is there a zero stop option for that kind of scope?
Or can you think of some contraption I can attach to the scope that allows me to click/ switch/ slide "something" when I dial the turret up that will remind me that it is 1, or 2, or 3 revolutions above zero? It would serve as a "manual mechanical turret turn indicator" (MMTTI®).

I was thinking of a little electronic contraption, a three-way switch (not for any electricity, just as mechnical indicator).
However, such a switch seems a little prone to get bonked and switched accidentially.
Anything like that would be great. I just don't know what contraptions are out there that would work as MMTTI....

Matthias

Cody,
now you have me wondering if your engineering skills and creativity also have some DIY solution for those turrets that don't move up/down (locking turrets)....

Because I have this otherwise great scope (3-12x44) that is usually on pigeon duty.
Most shots are around 60y, so I get away with 3-4 mil elevation. But there is one spot that is around 80y. And that requires me to dial a full revolution = 6 mil.

And it has happened not once, not twice, but three times(!) already that I have not dialed the elevation back to zero.
And then kept wondering why my shots didn't kill them rotten sky rats..... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Last week I did it again. 😖

So, is there a zero stop option for that kind of scope?
Or can you think of some contraption I can attach to the scope that allows me to click/ switch/ slide "something" when I dial the turret up that will remind me that it is 1, or 2, or 3 revolutions above zero? It would serve as a "manual mechanical turret turn indicator" (MMTTI®).

I was thinking of a little electronic contraption, a three-way switch (not for any electricity, just as mechnical indicator).
However, such a switch seems a little prone to get bonked and switched accidentially.
Anything like that would be great. I just don't know what contraptions are out there that would work as MMTTI....

Matthias
Not sure man, turrets like that would ba a case by case basis if it would be doable.

Ah yes, the original Leupold MK4 zero stop. 😂
I believe Kenton Industries did this some years back on some of their replacement turrets. Works well on rising turrets, however the manufacturer many frown upon this. My recommendation is to order another turret in case you ever have to send the scope in for repair.

Bruce Baer has been a very well known gunsmith for decades.
He is also a stocking dealer for Nightforce scopes.
This is also the same way he has installed lots and lots of zero stops in rifle scopes
Including the Nightforce he sold me and installed on my gun.
I have several friends who have just mailed him their scope cap for him to install it.
The Allen head screw he uses appears to be a bit smaller, and he does include the proper size tool.
He will also advise to turn in the screw till it just touches, without tightening it, after you zero the gun.

Last edited:
I see lots of people make the little plastic rings and stuff like that to act as a stop under the turret cap, but this is way easier and infinitely adjustable.

All you do is drill and tap the turret top cap and put in a set screw. Get a #6-32 tap, #36 drill (.1065") and a 1/2" long 6-32 set screw, all available at your local ace hardware.

View attachment 362352

Drill your hole right against the inside of the cap so it engages the brass sleeve on the turret body, then tap it.
View attachment 362355

Make sure to use cutting fluid and all the other common sense things that go along with tapping, but it is aluminum, so pretty easy.
View attachment 362356View attachment 362357

Reinstall your turret to zero WITHOUT the set screw in it, and tighten it in place. Adjust the turret 1 MOA down, and gently tighten down your zero stop set screw. Note how much sticks above the turret, and trim about that much off using a dremel cut off wheel, sanding disk or whatever you have available.
View attachment 362358

After trimming, check for fit, adjust as needed. Once it sets flush or just proud, this is your finished product. Once your all set, add some blue lock tight to your zero stop screw and let it dry. Your non zero stop sightron is now a zero stop. Counting the purchase of a tap, drill bit, and screws, I am about $13 into it, but I did 2 scopes, so $6.50 each, and took about 10 minutes to do.
View attachment 362359

Video of how it works -

Damm good idea....
THANK YOU...