Easy at home zero stop for Sightron S-Tac and SIII, and not the pvc ring

The best example zero stop method is employed by NF NXS, where turret turning is blocked rather than turret travel.
The problem with stopping travel, if not actually stopping turning with precision, is that you convert the turret into a jackscrew.

Here, you're relying on the setscrew to stop travel, with a digging into the scope body to stop turning.
If you smooth the contact end of the setscrew to mitigate digging, then the turning beyond initial contact -can keep turning.
It becomes less precise with actual turn stopping, functioning as a jackscrew each time until turning actually stops.
Picture an extreme example where you just kept turning, pulling the guts out of your scope.
You wouldn't do that, but ANY pulling on internals, and repeating of it, is bad in the long term.

I realize there are plenty of scope makers out there who imply that hokey methods won't hurt anything.
In some cases that may be true, but I would at least challenge them for basis.
Yup, this certainly isn't a nightforce zero stop.....it's just an improvised way to put a zero stop function on a budget scope that isn't offered with one. You are correct, it is not the "best" method of a zero stop for sure, it is simply functional, and definitely not dummy proof, I would recommend being careful and paying attention for anyone that decides to use it.

Last edited:
Where folks are conscious of this & careful, I'm sure it's fine.
But tactical thugs, who would drive trucks over their scopes? I don't know about them