douglas barrell quality?

30-06 boy

i see on midway's website douglas barrels are much cheaper than hart or kreiger barrels.hart and kreiger are very good barrels.can somebody share thier experience with douglas ?thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My dad had a 300 winchester rebareled into a 30-378 and that douglas barrel shot like crap. Plain and simple it just wouldn't shoot. I have my doubt it was the smith because he is well known around here for building accurate rifles. I personally would spend more money for either a hart or lilja. I'm sure others may feel diferently though.

I have used many Douglas bbls over the years, they are a good mid priced bbl. Very old company, at one time they were the name to have. Iv'e never had any problems with any of their bbls, mostly just rebarrling stock rifles for those that want to keep the costs down.

midway is doing an inventory reduction on the chrome moly barrels. I am not sure which ones; but some manufactures do not lapp there chrome moly barrels.

d-a

I have had several Douglas barrels and all shot well,I still have a 270wby.#5 28" air guage but it has gone min of angle use to shoot bug holes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I too had a douglas barrel that started to lose accuracy early, my 22 BR went south after only 800 rounds. Throat still in good shape started to copper fowl very badly. I guess they didn't use a good lot of steel or something. Before that it was good. Hope this helps

I am not complaining about my .270 it has over 3500 rounds through it
and will still shoot moa.I had a friend (Leonard Sheffield) of Rome,Ga. that built 7mm/300 WBYs and shipped them all over the U.S. with much success., he was a personal friend of G.R.Douglas I guess G.R. sent him some of the better barrels as the late Mr.Sheffield won praise in the area for building accurate rifles.In retrospect I did hear of some of the mk2 cheetas being short lived?

I have had 1 Douglas and it was removed and replaced with one that would shoot! This was only 1 example I know but you don't see Douglas on very many "equipment lists" of match winners.

Douglas barrels? Naw! Not worth a crap!! I've had two M-14s Match Grade that I won 4 state highpower championships with using Douglas barrels and iffen it hadn't been for them **** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifDouglas barrels....I might not have shot all those X's I was a shootin from back at the 600!! Lousy barrels!! Lousy, Lousy!!

30-06, You get what you pay for in barrels. Douglas barrels are button rifled and not lapped. They are good midpriced barrels. For a few dollars more, you can get a Wilson barrel that is basically a Douglas, but is lapped. If you want a top notch barrel, go with Lilja or Krieger. Both are top notch barrels.

for afew dollars more you can have a douglas barrel lapped. I personally have shot dozens of douglas barreled rifles(including an Ultralight Arms M24 .280, great carry gun) and wouldnt hesitate to use one. i still have a 26" #7 1-12 twist .257 douglas barrel that came off my dads old custom 25-06(ca. 1972) shot some awesome groups with 75gr sierras at a screaming 3770fps! i kept the barrel with intentions of having it rechambered for .250 Ackley, and as soon as i score a good military mauser action i will start on that project(gonna do the threads and chamber it myself)
hope this helps
Dan

I have a Douglass in 243, #5 contour cut to 23" on a ruger m77R (tang). Opted for the premium air gauging. This is not that their standard blanks are not good, it's just insurance of uniformity. My gun will shoot ragged dime size holes at a 100 yrds all day. It's perfect coyoty gun! Should of got a patten on it! LOL
I would buy another Douglass barrell. Their XX premium with air gauging is
as pricy as other makers. I ditto what others said, If your going to spend
the money its worth reaching a little deeper. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.