douglas barrell quality?

I have personaly never owned a Douglas but I have barreled a couple guns for guys that just wanted their deer gun in a differant caliber , they both shot way better than the factory barrels and diden't foul as bad accuracy in both of these guns is still great but both only have around 200 rounds through them.
If your looking to keep the cost down , I'd go with a
Pac-Nor , they seem to have better bore in the ones I've seen and delt with
but if your gonna spend to have the gun rebarreled you owe it to yourself to get a good barrel

I remember Leonard Sheffield, but by the time I met him he was in a wheel chair due to his severe crippling arthritis. He fixed an old Mauser of mine. I heard him talk about the 7mm-300 many times. If he had lived longer I would have had one, but unfortunately he passed away.

Wow! We're going back to 2005 and 2006 to get this one.

Last edited:
I have considered getting a Douglas barrel. Mostly because he's about 15 min from me. Are they good barrels. I know several people who have them and none complain about them.

My cousin had one put on his 300 win mag last year, after he dropped his gun out of a tree stand. Apparently if the barrel sticks in the ground they can bend :D his looked like it was out of a cartoon with the barrel all drooping down. LoL.

i see on midway's website douglas barrels are much cheaper than hart or kreiger barrels.hart and kreiger are very good barrels.can somebody share thier experience with douglas ?thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Years ago they were very good barrels, but now that there are so many premium barrels available
there are better choices in my opinion.

In the last 10 years I have not had very good luck with the Douglas barrels and have added them to my list of barrels to avoid.

I am sure that you can get a good one from them but the odds are less than a sure thing, unlike some of the other barrels available.

I want consistency in quality so I buy the barrels that give me that.

J E CUSTOM

30-06, You get what you pay for in barrels. Douglas barrels are button rifled and not lapped. They are good midpriced barrels. For a few dollars more, you can get a Wilson barrel that is basically a Douglas, but is lapped. If you want a top notch barrel, go with Lilja or Krieger. Both are top notch barrels.

The only thing Lilja's win are 22 BR in a Calfee built rifle. He even then admits that only two out of five are usable. Looking at equipment lists I see lots of Kriegers, and they are usually on down the list. And by the way they are lapped. And most bench rest meets seem to won by button rifles barrels when looking thru the P.S. mags. A Ron Pence barrel is better than 98% of the also rans if you just gotta have the best, and are willing to pay for it unlike most of the big name shooters
glt

I have a douglas barrel in a 7mm weatherby. great barrel. my friend has a 6mm dasher. both shoot sub moa if we do our part. will be doing a 300 wby to a 340 wby with them. the best part was it took only 3 weeks to get it back.

If you're paying 'labor' to have a barrel installed, it costs the same to install a mediocre one as it does to install any another. I don't check 'equipment lists', but I do work for a few who shoot, in more than 'informal', competition. I 've never heard one of them mention Douglas. I won't install a 'mediocre' barrel, I'll find a reason to turn the work away. First thing a customer will do, if it does't shoot to his expectations, is "blame the gunsmith!". The barrel is the last place to "save a few bucks". Of course I've barreled rifles with Krieger & Harts and later seen them with dime store quality scopes and mounts, too.

If you're paying 'labor' to have a barrel installed, it costs the same to install a mediocre one as it does to install any another. I don't check 'equipment lists', but I do work for a few who shoot, in more than 'informal', competition. I 've never heard one of them mention Douglas. I won't install a 'mediocre' barrel, I'll find a reason to turn the work away. First thing a customer will do, if it does't shoot to his expectations, is "blame the gunsmith!". The barrel is the last place to "save a few bucks". Of course I've barreled rifles with Krieger & Harts and later seen them with dime store quality scopes and mounts, too.

AMEN !!!!!

The barrel is the heart of a successful build.

The best Gun Smith in the world can't make a poor barrel shoot bug holes.
and with the best smithing a great barrel may not perform ether.

It is not uncommon for a bench rest shooter to try 2 or 3 of the same barrels brands in the same
rifle to find the one that shoots the best.

As long as you buy the best you can and have a good gun smith do the work the rifle will normally out shoot the shooter.

I have a preferred list of barrel makers that I have had great luck and consistency with and unfortunately a list of barrels that I won't use.

And as shortgrass said, the smith is always blamed for poor accuracy so I go with barrels that have never disappointed me or the owner of the rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Ive got a few different barrels, and 3 of the finest LR Guns built, a 338 Edge LRKM with a 32" Bartlien, a 338 Allen Mag xhs with a 32" lilja, and a 6.5x06 Sherman with a 28" Lilja, Ive also got a 300 Wby rebuilt years ago with a custom Douglas match 28" that shoots lights out also, right with the other 3. So its doable with a Douglas, but thats my only one. Im near Lilja where I live, and I'll use them whenever I can.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts