Don't think it can't happen to you.

Well, reading this makes me want to grab my Sig. I got a CCW and honestly have yet to carry my weapon and I've been places where I really should have been carrying.

I'm going to stop internetting right now and go get it out of the safe, load up 2 clips and put it in the holster right now.

Thanks for the post.

Sheet .... how long for the Adrenaline shakes to wear off?? you are fortunate to live in a jurisdiction where a carry gun is possible and legal !! (I used to) ... bye the bye how do you like the Rifle Kirby made for you?? LRB (ps. I am anxiously awaiting a 280 AI being made as we speak) ... LRB

Kirby does awesome work, it's as good as you can get.

Well, reading this makes me want to grab my Sig. I got a CCW and honestly have yet to carry my weapon and I've been places where I really should have been carrying.

I'm going to stop internetting right now and go get it out of the safe, load up 2 clips and put it in the holster right now.

Thanks for the post.
If you've got the permit then carry it all of the time. Part time carry just means you won't have it when you need it.

So... interesting wrinkle. Step-daughter being under 21, and this being WA state... no handgun of her own, period AFAICT (I know in other states people under 21 can't *purchase* handguns, but they can own them e.g. if gifted by say a parent).

So no handgun, no CCW. Can't carry on campus anyway. Current discussion is whether a heavy duty stunner that she *can* keep in the car - which may just wind up providing someone else with a new lightly-used stunner if they bust into the car again - or something simple like a pump shotgun with light/reduced recoil defense loads for keeping at the house in the event of home invasion. I *do* have an 870 Police kicking around the closet that is (for me) about stone simple to operate (could probably do so in my sleep), though I've heard of people having problems short-stroking pumps under stress. Unfortunately it looks like the Aguila mini shells wouldn't feed reliably (**** shame) though I might buy a box just to try. Gonna look and see if any of the local stores carry any of the reduce/managed recoil defense loads that I've seen listed online. Worse comes to worse, bird shot loads would work, though I've heard their performance on individuals that are... chemically enhanced... is less than stellar compared to larger shot sizes. Granted, given the constraints of the user some compromise will be unavoidable.

Any other suggestions?

So...Worse comes to worse, bird shot loads would work, though I've heard their performance on individuals that are... chemically enhanced... is less than stellar compared to larger shot sizes. Granted, given the constraints of the user some compromise will be unavoidable.

Any other suggestions?

lightbulbMight get a 5 or 10 pack of #4 Buckshot or #1 Buckshot in 2 3/4" or 3" and see if they feed, since failure to feed is not an option! Good luck.

Thanks for sharing that with us. I carry some of the time but I do tend to leave home without it more than I should. Your story convinces me I should be more prudent. I don't live in a place similar to Yakima but it does happen here too occasionally. Glad it turned out well for you.

Gordon

stupid is as stupid does i live near the cali border and what you just described happens on a daily basis,we are as a country being overrun by what we call wetbacks.due to the in charge group it is ok for them to do that and if you stand up for youre rights you are the bad one.just listen to the remarks made by jimmy carte about the dead leader of the commy country.then hear what the hnic said about carter.if you all aint heard our country is in deep trouble due to the big money in control.next time dont get caught in an unarmed position and shoot first.two can keep a secret if one is dead.aim small miss small,2 in teh head th baeck is dead.

Thanks for the great post, Dick. I hope you will consider sending it to the NRA for a reprint in American Riflemen, etc.

Sadly, I live in California, where there is always a chance of encounters similar to the one you experienced. Carry permits are difficult (if not impossible) to get here, thanks to the political pull of the anti-gun crowd who have somehow gotten our politicians to believe that regular taxpaying law-abiding citizens should not have the right to self-defense.

I'm 74, have a bad back, and find it painful to run, so the only thing I can count on at this point is a pair of sharp eyes and the NRA sticker on the car.

Barry N. Schmidt, D.D.S.
Santa Rosa, CA

Dr Schmidt,
I live by the old axiom of " Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" For many yrs colo had no concealed carry law and i still carried everywhere i went. I know Ca's laws are stupid, but dont let that keep you from defending yourself. Some laws are just meant to be broken. AJ

Dick, I sent your article to a close friend who is a pistol aficionado and is quite up-to-date on California Law. Here is his response:

Wow. Imagine just walking into a gun shop and walking out 20 minutes later with a gun + ammo!

Interestingly, if Dick had been in CA for this incident, not only would he have to wait 10 days to get a handgun (assuming there was even a dealer in his town and they had a model on hand he wanted) only then could he have initiated the CCW process which could take up to 90 days--and even then he wouldn't get one if he lived in a "good cause" county. Also, the Hispanics could've filed charges against him, since a "furtive movement" can be construed as "brandishing" even if you don't produce a firearm (or even have one on your person--you just have to make the other guy think you do). So Dick would've gone to jail just because two suspicious people testify (corroborating their own story) that they were just asking this guy for the time and he looked like he was going to pull a gun on them, putting them in fear for their lives. Amazing!

Dr Schmidt,
I live by the old axiom of " Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" For many yrs colo had no concealed carry law and i still carried everywhere i went. I know Ca's laws are stupid, but dont let that keep you from defending yourself. Some laws are just meant to be broken. AJ

Dog, I always "pack" when I go hunting, since it's still legal to carry guns to and from hunting grounds. Luckily, however, I live in an adult community and have no worries about gangbangers or other scumbags where I live. I also don't frequent the dangerous places on the other side of town or other areas I would consider "dangerous."

I agree with you, and if I had to enter into certain areas of, say, San Francisco, I would take along a "little friend" that would definitely discourage any attempt to take my life.

Dick, I sent your article to a close friend who is a pistol aficionado and is quite up-to-date on California Law. Here is his response:

Wow. Imagine just walking into a gun shop and walking out 20 minutes later with a gun + ammo!

Interestingly, if Dick had been in CA for this incident, not only would he have to wait 10 days to get a handgun (assuming there was even a dealer in his town and they had a model on hand he wanted) only then could he have initiated the CCW process which could take up to 90 days--and even then he wouldn't get one if he lived in a "good cause" county. Also, the Hispanics could've filed charges against him, since a "furtive movement" can be construed as "brandishing" even if you don't produce a firearm (or even have one on your person--you just have to make the other guy think you do). So Dick would've gone to jail just because two suspicious people testify (corroborating their own story) that they were just asking this guy for the time and he looked like he was going to pull a gun on them, putting them in fear for their lives. Amazing!
That's the nice thing about having a concealed carry permit as there is no waiting for any firearm I buy. My background has already been checked and all it takes is a little paperwork and a single call by the store owner and I walk out with whatever I want to buy. Without the permit there is a waiting period of 5 days.

Three or four days back we had an interesting development come up in a development just east of the city limits. Below is what was printed in the paper about it.

A suspect in multiple theft cases and two accomplices were captured Monday with the enthusiastic help of several East Valley residents, authorities said. The three, who were arrested while fleeing the scene of a reported burglary, made preliminary appearances Tuesday in Yakima County Superior Court.

A caller to police reported seeing the suspects enter a home in the 5000 block of Bohoskey Drive.

Sheriff's deputies arrived to find a truck loaded down with property leaving the home. A man and a woman from that vehicle were arrested on suspicion of burglary, authorities said. The second man fled on an all-terrain vehicle.

Officers searching the area showed the man's photo to several residents. About 30 minutes later, the residents returned to announce that they had captured the suspect.

They said they had seen him sneaking across their property. They "zip-tied" his hands and held him at gunpoint until arresting officers could arrive.
He remains under investigation in multiple burglaries, authorities said. He was booked into the county jail on suspicion of more than a dozen criminal counts, including failing to register as a sex offender, being a felon in possession of a firearm, eluding police, possessing stolen property and stealing a motor vehicle. His bail was set at $200,000.

The civilian witnesses who helped arrest the man earned a personal thanks from Sheriff Ken Irwin, according to the sheriff's office.

They and the original caller demonstrate the importance of witnesses who are willing to make timely reports of what they observe, but police encourage people to avoid contact with suspects out of concerns that they may be armed or otherwise violent.
It was also on TV and it showed the guys behind their house and one of them showed his Glock that they used while stopping the "suspect". They said they saw him sneaking behind their house and ran him down, tackled him and zip-tied his hands behind his back. They called the Sheriff and had the "suspect" all wrapped up in a neat little package when the deputies finally got there.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together and the bad guys get what's coming to them. :)

I just read this from start to finish. I live in a state that allows open carry and concealed carry and yes I do have my CCW permit and so does the wife. Here are a few things I would like to contribute. I have had to have my guns handy at home but luckily never out around town. The first time I was an ACO working for a police dept. with the "dog catcher truck" in my driveway. Three undesireable types were walking down the street looking into neighbors yards. I stood on my porch watching them with my XD-40 behind my leg. They tried to give me a story of how their dog got lost and they were looking for it everywhere since it could jump fences. I told them that was a good way to get into trouble as all of the neighbors work different hours so somebody is always home and watching the neighborhood. I told them they were full of crap as I know what peole who have lost their pets, look at the truck, do when searching for a lost pet. The "tough" one started walking up my driveway and the XD became visible along the side of my leg and I told them they needed to leave. They left in a hurry.

The other time we had a questionable door to door salesman. I had the door cracked with my foot blocking it and told him to leave. He kept trying to look past me into the house. My daughter kept trying to look around me out the door. He decided to leave when I told my then 3 year old daughter to get away from my gun hand.

IF a weapon ever comes into play, even if you did nothing wrong, the only statement you make to anyone is I WAS AFFRAID FOR MY LIFE AND I WANT AN ATTORNEY! You have a right to self defense and you have a right to have an attorney present during questioning. Yes you may spend some time in custody but you don't want to spend 30 years. You may not be thinking straight right after the incident. You are not trying to lie and may leave something out because of the stress your body goes under in a tramatic incident. It looks bad if your statement changes from what you first said because you remember something later. The police MAY try to make a case aginst you for defending yourself.

Added after reading: My wife who is an attorney and has done both prosecution and defense work has given me insight on the legal system.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.