Don't think it can't happen to you.

There are a lot of things that one needs to take VERY seriously when carrying concealed.

1. You need to keep up your proficiency in shooting. Practice, practice, practice. If you get in a gunfight, your adrenalin will be pumping like crazy and you will shoot worse than you normally do. So you need to practice a lot to get that good muscle memory instilled into your brain so that when it does come time to fight, it just all happens narturally for you.
3. The best cover that you are going to have is precise, accurate return fire.

4. Dont stand still while someone is shooting at you. MOVE, STOP, SHOOT. Most people that don't shoot guns well (which are a lot of criminals) will slap the trigger badly. So if you are facing a right handed adversary and you start moving left then the odds are with you that you are moving out of the bullets path if he slaps the trigger. If you are facing a left handed adversary and you are moving to the right then it has the same effect. The easiest way to think of it is move to the same side of the locked out arm of the adversary. The locked out arm is his gun arm so you move to the same side as that locked out arm. Most shooters bend there non shooting arm at the elbow. "This is new thing I've learned today."

NEVER NEVER move towards or away from the adversary. Always move side to side. Targets moving side to side are way harder to hit. Any shooter/hunter should know this.

7. One shot is not enough most of the time. Shoot the adversary until the threat is stopped.
I've abridged Korhil78's post, but all his points are important. I'd like to point out that beside stationary pistol shooting course, you should take course in drawing pistol from holster and fire. Shooting behind barricade, shooting at multiple threats, shooting under stress where you run a distance, crawl, and engage target at 25 yards while you're breathing hard. Finally, shooting at moving target, both from left and right (most difficult). The moving target will emphasize that if you're the target, running away from your adversary will not work as well as zigzagging away, stopping at random distance before resuming the running will add to your chance of surviving. This is one factor which convinced me not to renew my CCW license. Then, you should try hand at falling plates, pinball, steel challenge, and finally if you shoot semi-auto, IPSC. By the time you got thru these, your weapon will come up like a glove, with perfect hold.:) You'll probably need a DILLON 550. BTW I'm a revolver man, and shoot double action exclusively, even squatting at 50 yards. But this is getting away from LRH which I'm here to learn.:rolleyes:

I am a Firearms Instructor for a law enforcement entity and I am glad to see that many of you carry concealed. I'm thankful for your input. Very good, and I'm sure many of us will highly appreciate it.

I already new this; you would think I would have thought by my self which direction to move; but I didn't. LOL This a an awesome knowledge. EXCELLENT!!!!A right handed shooter will shoot low and to his left (your right) when slapping the trigger and a left handed shooter will shoot low and to his right (your left). So if you are facing a right handed adversary and you start moving left then the odds are with you that you are moving out of the bullets path if he slaps the trigger. If you are facing a left handed adversary and you are moving to the right then it has the same effect. The easiest way to think of it is move to the same side of the locked out arm of the adversary. The locked out arm is his gun arm so you move to the same side as that locked out arm. Most shooters bend there non shooting arm at the elbow.

Great teaching; I for one won't forget it!!!

One of the things that I really like about this site is the level of expertise we have on just about any shooting related subject. There's not much you can bring up around here that can't be covered by our members at all levels up to and including professionals. :)

I'm not so much worried about it happening to me.

Being 6'5" and closer to 300# than not... most folks of 'that' persuasion tend to think again about whether its worth it. So far very very few have pursued the notion, and I've lived in some less than savory parts of town in my younger years. Not saying that a pipe behind the ear as I pass thru a dark parking lot wouldn't take me down as quick as any one else, just that I'm not a first choice.

What does bother me... is my step-daughter, 5'6" 110# and pretty as they come, is going to school down there (YVCC) for the next year or so in the same town, Yakima (aka 'Crakima' as she calls it). A couple weeks ago, her car got broken into and rifled thru, a few items stolen - in one of the campus parking lots. Who the hell breaks into a '98 Mazda Protege thinking there is going to be anything worth even $50 at a pawn shop?!? From what I gather, it was more because being older = not likely to have an alarm system installed. One of the things that freaked her out was that now they have her digital camera. Being a girl, and girls have this silly tendency to hold the camera out and take cute pics of themselves and their friends. Now these crooks have a vehicle, and thru the camera (if they have any brains and think to look) a pretty good idea who the driver is, if they were inclined to stake it out with other intentions...

Being as she spends so many hours a day on campus, a concealed carry permit isn't really to do a whole hell of a lot of good. I may have a talk with her about taking my Sig P6 for at the house, on the condition we start doing regular practice with it. Not sure what to do about the time when she's away from the house but can't carry...

Milanuk, I don't know what kind of support you and your daughter have here in Yakima, and I realize you don't know me from Adam but if you ever need it I'd be willing to provide you and your daughter with my name and cell number which is with me 24/7. Then if she ever got into a hairy situation she'd have support that's less than 5 minutes from YVCC.

Thanks for the offer. I think she and I are going to be having some (repeated, lengthy) discussion regarding the subject while she's home for the holidays - no telling where we'll end up.

Thanks for the offer. I think she and I are going to be having some (repeated, lengthy) discussion regarding the subject while she's home for the holidays - no telling where we'll end up.

Not trying to butt into you and your daughters life. I have a two year old son and I know what it is like to love a human being like you have never loved someone before. I had never thought about it before having my son but after him coming into this world, I know that I would give my life for him or anyones child for that matter without even taking a second thought. The worst thing that you can do is to make her live in fear all the time. No one should have to live in fear. You can teach her to live cautiously though. Here are a few things that that can help her out.

Be aware of your surroundings. Don't look down at the ground while you walk. Look around while you walk.

If you are in a car, ALWAYS remember that a car is not just something that gets you from point A to point B. It is a tool (means of escape) and a weapon. You are most vulnerable in a car when you are stopped (i.e. a red light or stop sign). If someone is walking up to your car at night, they are NEVER going to try to help you in anyway or say anything good so don't let them get close. You leave that place as soon as possible if someone is coming up to your car door at night. Take the first clear exit that you can via UTURN, right turn or straight. If the way is clear (meaning no cars) then you take it. If you get pulled over by the police for it then so be it. You tell them exactly what happened.

When you get to your apartment, drive by it slowly first and look. Look for anyone just standing around your intended path that doesn't belong. Look for people just sitting in a car and not getting out. If something doesn't look or feel right then it probably isn't right. You call someone or go to a friends house. DO NOT get out by yourself.

If you get out of your car, start walking to your aparment and some thugs start following you and taunting you, knock on every door on the way to your apartment. Knock as you walk but don't stop. Thuggy young people get a lot less bold when there are multiple people watching them be stupid.

Hopefully nothing ever happens to your daughter but the most important thing that she can do if someone attacks her is to NEVER give up. EYES, THROAT, GROIN. Gouge them all with keys, hands or whatever. Yell and scream words(HELP!...RAPE!) like you never have before. If you just scream with no words then people are just going to think it is some dumb kid playing. Just dont give up.

I'm not so much worried about it happening to me.

Being 6'5" and closer to 300# than not... most folks of 'that' persuasion tend to think again about whether its worth it. So far very very few have pursued the notion, and I've lived in some less than savory parts of town in my younger years. Not saying that a pipe behind the ear as I pass thru a dark parking lot wouldn't take me down as quick as any one else, just that I'm not a first choice.

What does bother me... is my step-daughter, 5'6" 110# and pretty as they come, is going to school down there (YVCC) for the next year or so in the same town, Yakima (aka 'Crakima' as she calls it). A couple weeks ago, her car got broken into and rifled thru, a few items stolen - in one of the campus parking lots. Who the hell breaks into a '98 Mazda Protege thinking there is going to be anything worth even $50 at a pawn shop?!? From what I gather, it was more because being older = not likely to have an alarm system installed. One of the things that freaked her out was that now they have her digital camera. Being a girl, and girls have this silly tendency to hold the camera out and take cute pics of themselves and their friends. Now these crooks have a vehicle, and thru the camera (if they have any brains and think to look) a pretty good idea who the driver is, if they were inclined to stake it out with other intentions...

Being as she spends so many hours a day on campus, a concealed carry permit isn't really to do a whole hell of a lot of good. I may have a talk with her about taking my Sig P6 for at the house, on the condition we start doing regular practice with it. Not sure what to do about the time when she's away from the house but can't carry...

here, thank the lord, we allow ccw on campus! we had a mass shooting in a mall and instead of pushing gun control the legislators open things up to make it easier for people to defend themselves. we can carry concealed in our vehicles no permit and permitless CONSTITUTIONAL (as was intended by the founders) carry is expected to pass this year!:D

here, thank the lord, we allow ccw on campus! we had a mass shooting in a mall and instead of pushing gun control the legislators open things up to make it easier for people to defend themselves. we can carry concealed in our vehicles no permit and permitless CONSTITUTIONAL (as was intended by the founders) carry is expected to pass this year!:D

Good to hear. Where do these mass shooting often take place...? Often where even concealed carry is not allowed, CCW or not--schools, universities. Funny (tragic) how that is.

Let people defend themselves. When will the politicians get it?

Last edited:
Good to hear. Where do these mass shooting often take place...? Often where not even concealed carry is not allowed, CCW or not--schools, universities. Funny (tragic) how that is.

Let people defend themselves. When will the politicians get it?
it was at trolley square mall and yes They had signs that say no weapons. the man who stopped the shooting (hero then now scumbag in jail) was an off duty police officer who was eating with his family and carrying concealed (his situation...NOT ENOUGH AMMO) but he pinned he guy down until backup arrived. If there was not a concealed weapon there the man would have killed more than the 9 he did. the off duty l.e.o. was carrying illegally (dew to private property rules) but no charges were filed.

Last edited:
Had a short, although interesting talk with the UPS guy yesterday. Normally he doesn't take the time to talk, especially this time of the year, but I happened to step out the door and was wearing my gun when he came so that he wouldn't have to come all the way to the front door. Normally I'd leave the gun just inside the door if it wasn't concealed because that could be considered "brandishing". But my neighbors know me and see me coming and going with guns all the time so I didn't worry about stepping out onto the porch.

He/they are used to me answering the door wearing a gun and he/they have delivered packages to my house from what is probably dozens of gun/hunting related businesses plus a lot of bullets out of Canada. They know what I'm interested in just by way of casually noticing who the packages are from.

Yesterday he stopped a minute or so and mentioned something I'd never really thought about. He said "you know, I have to go into neighborhoods and up to houses that most people would refuse to go into or near." It's part of his job and he does it but doesn't necessarily like some of the delivery points.

Then he said it's nice to deliver to my place and said that my wearing a gun never bothers him. He said that he can at least temporarily relax in a spot where some guy comes to the door wearing a gun as opposed to some of the places where he knows there are people inside with guns that have them for illegal reasons.

Never thought about it that way but they can't carry a gun and go into neighborhoods and up to homes I would not go near. Glad it's him and not me. :)

Sheet .... how long for the Adrenaline shakes to wear off?? you are fortunate to live in a jurisdiction where a carry gun is possible and legal !! (I used to) ... bye the bye how do you like the Rifle Kirby made for you?? LRB (ps. I am anxiously awaiting a 280 AI being made as we speak) ... LRB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts