Firearms that you can't part with

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We have firearms that go from very good to excellent condition modern hunting rifles to classic Pistols that are rare and in good to excellent condition.
Some we will hold on for the price to increase and sell at the coming to end of retirement. We have two that may be needed to go soon.
One is a Sniper Scope for the M-1 Durning the WWII. It has never been mounted and still has original box and packing. Saw some on Ebay going for $2.500++ but not in our condition.
We also have a Mauser 98 from WWII with double set triggers, everything is marked with the same SS# and Eagle mark and has the Sniper Scope. When these were purchased by a Priest the 98 Stock was Sporterised.
Anyone know of a Company that buys these or an auction.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Any rifle pistol or shotgun that was passed on to me from deceased family members, guns I purchased in my youth or given to me, I've become the dumping ground for all family and extended family guns. I'll split them up to my kids when the time comes along with their history

I once needed some cash for tuition/books and sold a number of firearms. In fact, that was also when i sold my reloading gear. It was a hard day, but the right decision.

That said, there are two that I never consider selling. One is my 1st firearm - a .22LR Remington 512P I received for Christmas when I was 6 and my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag I received for graduating HS. The 512P remains mostly unchanged from the day I received it (refinished the stock and foolishly replaced the original peep sight).

However, my Rem 700 has recently received some long overdue TLC. She's sporting a new barrel, new CF stock, new bottom metal, new glass eyes, and a new trigger. Despite all that, she's still the same old girl at heart that I've had for over 40 years and looking forward to taking an elk which was the original plan all those years ago.

My Remginton 700 DBM 7mm-08 moutain rifle has been the only rifle that I have felt "attached to". Part of me wants to sell it (talked with you via PM about it) only because of going to suppressors, however, I have not been able to put together the listing yet.

My Remginton 700 DBM 7mm-08 moutain rifle has been the only rifle that I have felt "attached to". Part of me wants to sell it (talked with you via PM about it) only because of going to suppressors, however, I have not been able to put together the listing yet.
I suspect you will one day wish you had not sold it.

Wow…..what a loaded topic! ☹️

So the answer is: Pretty much everything that I've accumulated over the past 60+ years. The thought of most any of them not being appreciated by the new owner stings……a lot!

A little background!

I gave my son, 3 firearms when he was just a young kid. None were terribly expensive, unless supporting a family on less than $100/per week and spending $160 on a Ruger for him when he was only about 2 years old ……counts as expensive.

When he was is his early 20's (still living with his mother) most everything he had was stolen. He wasn't upset about the three firearms that his oldman had sacrificed for get him……it was the d&$# leather Marlboro jacket that he bought with the Christmas money I gave him. Money of which I had little I of due to a divorce!

I have another story about my daughter and firearm gifts…..which I won't get in to.

My few firearms mean a lot to me, because there was a bit of a sacrifice to get each and every one! You want to leave them to your kids…..but they've proven that the guns will mean absolutely nothing to them.

So, maybe it's best that someone get them that "may" actually appreciate them! The majority of which will be in the Estate Sale, as I will have great difficulty in parting with them while still breathing!

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself. This is my group therapy support forum isn't it! 😁 memtb

I think every dad's wish is that his children will inherent and cherish the firearms and memories made with them, but alas it's not always the case. I have my father's first shotgun, a Stevens 320....He grew up in the depression and I know what it took for him to get it. He actually killed his last 2 bucks with it as well and I have those racks. It's not pretty, or worth alot of money but it's priceless to me! I bring it out and let my children shoot it and try to pass on the memories associated with it but without them experiencing it first hand it'll might just be an "that old shotgun" in the safe. Dad's guns were straight up "tools" there was no custom high dollar toys like we see today! There's a 1903 sporter 308 Norma mag that a old family friend built and brought to Alaska where he trapped in the 70's. Dad bought it from him when age affected him. I grew up falling asleep in the living room listening to his hunting stories so it's a neat rifle to me....again not pretty or valuable. My daughter actually loves shooting it with its funky side mount scope so maybe she'll remember the story behind it.

Last time I got sick I told the kids we better divide up the guns before I died.....obviously everyone knew I wasn't on my way out just then but my oldest kids talked about their favorite guns and memories of them. I was surprised at what they chose as favorite.

At the end of the day everyone looks at sentimental value different and somethings are just money.....I'll not know or care what happens to them when I'm dead!

Consistent with my thread titled "Thinning The Heard", I've been doing just that. The first salvo consisted of several safe queens that I really liked but didn't shoot.

If I had to give up everything but one, it wouldn't be one of my many LR rigs that I'd save for last. I'll save my Marlin 1895 SBL for last. When I look through my photo albums, it's surprising to see just how many pigs, bears and deer I've dropped with this short-range but rather versatile rifle. Despite the fact that I'm a diehard crank rifle guy, there is just something very addictive about that levergun.

Definitely a "loaded" topic. I would offer that anything with a wood stock will never be sold in my lifetime. My Father's Remington 721 .270, my Model 70s, Browning Superposed and Upland Special O/Us, Winchester 94s, .22s and a few other odds and ends are willed to the kids. Ranging from recent purchases to over 100 years old - all are hunted and well-maintained - no safe queens. I have written histories that I update periodically rolled up in the buttstocks. Anything with "plastic" furniture doesn't have the same soul and I expect will be moved in time.

Last edited:
I have three off the top of my head, or for right now. Win 1873, Colt 1873, and my original with scope Colt Sp1 and original Colt bayonet M7 But... in truth, I could name another eight or so with no problem. Cheers

Winchester and Colt 1873 375 Mag 7.jpg

Colt SP1 with Colt Scope 006.jpg

Colt SP1 with Colt Scope 004.jpg

Colt M16 M7 Bayonet 001.jpg

Really the only ones I won't sell are the ones I bought for my son when he was young, a couple of garands (one for me and one for my son). My birth year Colt and my sons birth year Colt. And 2 other colts. A WWI and a WWII.

We have firearms that go from very good to excellent condition modern hunting rifles to classic Pistols that are rare and in good to excellent condition.
Some we will hold on for the price to increase and sell at the coming to end of retirement. We have two that may be needed to go soon.
One is a Sniper Scope for the M-1 Durning the WWII. It has never been mounted and still has original box and packing. Saw some on Ebay going for $2.500++ but not in our condition.
We also have a Mauser 98 from WWII with double set triggers, everything is marked with the same SS# and Eagle mark and has the Sniper Scope. When these were purchased by a Priest the 98 Stock was Sporterised.
Anyone know of a Company that buys these or an auction.
Thanks
Len & Jill
Without question I would look up Rock Island Auction Co. They specialize in just what you have and thier results speak for themselves. Highly reputable. If you want top dollar for something special or unique, they are the go to. I must say, you have 2 very special and unique arms there. I would have a hard time parting with them.

Without question I would look up Rock Island Auction Co. They specialize in just what you have and thier results speak for themselves. Highly reputable. If you want top dollar for something special or unique, they are the go to. I must say, you have 2 very special and unique arms there. I would have a hard time parting with them.
Thanks much!
The WWII Mauser 98 and the M1 Scope are just sitting here. Might want to use the money for builds in progress. We have a lot of items not using.