Donor action or custom

Custom versus Remington really depends on what options you want. If you want it plain Jane then the Remington will be considerably cheaper (donor 400, truing no more than 250, and recoil lug 40.00). If you want things like fluted bolts, custom bolt knobs, aftermarket bolt stops, etc. the custom will be cheaper in the long run.

If I buy a $1200 action and it needs $200 worth of truing, 1 of 2 things is happening. My smith is gigging me for merely CHECKING my action or doing a CLEAN UP cut. OR. My action builder is going to fix my action. A pile of junk Savage can be home trued to shoot .25 MOA in many cases. Anyone who ACCEPTS that they need to hand a smith a bunch of cash on top of a $1200 action doesn't LAMENT enough and is too ACCEPTING of both a gunsmiths bill and an action makers production tolerances.

It happens...More often than not. I don't pay "a pile of cash" to anyone...My smith charges me $250 to build a rifle top-to-bottom, including blueprinting, barrel work, chambering, bore-centric lathe-cut target crown, bedding, and floating. Custom action, Remington, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, brand doesn't matter... The price is the price, provided the action needs no extra work, or I don't have him do any special add-ons (custom bolt knob, etc...). And the longest turn-around I've ever waited was 1 month, during deer season, when he was packed with work, and hunting. Most of the time, 1-2 weeks turn-around.

It happens...More often than not. I don't pay "a pile of cash" to anyone...My smith charges me $250 to build a rifle top-to-bottom, including blueprinting, barrel work, chambering, bore-centric lathe-cut target crown, bedding, and floating. Custom action, Remington, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, brand doesn't matter... The price is the price, provided the action needs no extra work, or I don't have him do any special add-ons (custom bolt knob, etc...). And the longest turn-around I've ever waited was 1 month, during deer season, when he was packed with work, and hunting. Most of the time, 1-2 weeks turn-around.
You sir have the coolest smith on the planet. That's unheard of in todays world. At least in mine. If I had a guy like that in my pocket I would probably throw Savage in the trashcan and get busy writing checks.

If you are wanting two guns then I would consider making the 270 WSM on a doner action first and the 338 (of your flavor) on a custom action. As stated before, a simple barrel swap on a factory action can yield good results. Sure not bench rest results. If you want to drive a Cadillac, then get the custom.

You sir have the coolest smith on the planet. That's unheard of in todays world. At least in mine. If I had a guy like that in my pocket I would probably throw Savage in the trashcan and get busy writing checks.

The reason he doesn't charge much is because it is his side-business/hobby. He said he doesn't do it to get rich, just to help folks and make some beer money. He has been a professional machinist for about 35+ years. Gunsmithing is just his side-hobby, and only recommended people get to become clients. He's very peculiar about who he does work for, but he's a good guy, and really knows his stuff. Once he gets to know you, he loosens up and starts joking around.

If I buy a $1200 action and it needs $200 worth of truing, 1 of 2 things is happening. My smith is gigging me for merely CHECKING my action or doing a CLEAN UP cut. OR. My action builder is going to fix my action. A pile of junk Savage can be home trued to shoot .25 MOA in many cases. Anyone who ACCEPTS that they need to hand a smith a bunch of cash on top of a $1200 action doesn't LAMENT enough and is too ACCEPTING of both a gunsmiths bill and an action makers production tolerances.
How do you home true a Savage action?
My definition of truing is squaring the lugs, threads and face to the center line of the action. My opinion (and it's just that) is that even savages need to be trued by a good smith to reach there full potential. I know I'm going to get told "the floating bolt head takes care of the lugs" well it may as far as contact but that doesn't mean they are actually square.

I think toddc and ATH about covered it and on the money.

If your heart is really set on a custom action, check out the Actions - BigHorn ArmsBigHorn Arms (I have the SR2 LA on my full custom)

https://youtu.be/ZSM3CYOcGgI?t=1

https://youtu.be/rWB4sPNFyWY?t=24

and

Mausingfield Bolt Action

https://youtu.be/A0LdnDIk-jU?t=89

https://youtu.be/XqhlbCrN980?t=30

... they are simply awesome.

My gunsmith was very impressed with my BHA action, he said it's one of the best machined action he'd seen in awhile as well as the design feature; a floating bolt like the Savage action and 700 clone compatibility.
Both are nice but that Mausingfield really grabs my attention.

Full custom is an easy choice for me. There's a lot more to a nice action than truing up the critical interfaces. From firing pin mechanism design to squareness of scope ring threaded holes to overall fit and finish. Factory actions can shoot straight but comparing all around form fit and function they just don't hold a candle to a custom action. That's my $0.02.

I have two Borden actions and I love them. Jim really has a nice product.

How do you home true a Savage action?
My definition of truing is squaring the lugs, threads and face to the center line of the action. My opinion (and it's just that) is that even savages need to be trued by a good smith to reach there full potential. I know I'm going to get told "the floating bolt head takes care of the lugs" well it may as far as contact but that doesn't mean they are actually square.

That is an honest question.

In practical matters, I have a number of Savage builds using prefits. Without exception, I can make them shoot .25-.33 MOA. If you are in the bench rest game, I claim no knowledge or experience. But for hunting rifle at the ranges I am willing to shoot, this is plenty accurate.

So, based on personal experience, I see no need to spend extra $$ to true something that works within my expectations.

I am sure that in all cases some improvement could be gained by wringing out every imperfection. I'm sure there are more oversights in my reloading practices than can be wrung from truing a Savage. All depends where you draw the line, and what you are willing to pay for increasingly minor improvements.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.